Author Topic: AAPL - Apple Inc.  (Read 1628740 times)

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
Re: AAPL - Apple Inc.
« Reply #6820 on: June 16, 2020, 08:05:42 PM »
Yea, hopefully it works out. I've been looking myself, but the refurbished market on Apple.com is gone like crazy - there's barely any deals out there. And graphic cards are a dime a dozen. I'm also playing with the eGPU concept, but its an interesting concept, whether or not it will take off.

Check out the ebay seller I mentioned.
AFL // BRK.B // CLB an incredibly stupid move // EW // GPC // MO an incredibly stupid ex-CEO // MTB // NVO // PSX // TRMD // ULTA // VDE // VLGEA // WFC

Investable cash 16% + 18 months of survival $

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #6821 on: June 20, 2020, 02:19:39 PM »
Update on my recent eBay iMac purchase.

FAN-FRIGGIN-TASTIC!!!!!

I messaged the guy last week because I saw that the 1TB SSD was only an additional $50 & he said no problem, so I sent the funds.

It arrived this morning & is basically brand new.
After a 3ish hour restore from Time Machine backup & subsequent setup, I'm in business.

My late 2013 MacBook Air with 256SSD & 4GB of RAM is still plenty fast but this iMac is a beast in comparison. I can actually see the screen at a distance now & there'll be no more offloading files due to HD size constraints. I'll find out tonight if latency gets reduced when sending MIDI data from a synthesizer to Ableton.

I found a Gator case made specifically for traveling with a 21" iMac & just ordered it.

I can carry everything I need into a venue in one trip (for now just friends houses for jams) if I use the 61 key Yamaha & 2 trips if I bring the 88 key.

This includes the Yamaha 61 key with pedals in a Gator backpack case,
a Bose compact L1 PA in one hand, & the iMac with accessories in a Gator case in the other hand.

---

Anyone looking for a Mac should check this guy out.
AFL // BRK.B // CLB an incredibly stupid move // EW // GPC // MO an incredibly stupid ex-CEO // MTB // NVO // PSX // TRMD // ULTA // VDE // VLGEA // WFC

villainx

« Reply #6822 on: June 20, 2020, 04:09:31 PM »
My late 2013 MacBook Air with 256SSD & 4GB of RAM is still plenty fast but

256SSD was original?  I self upgraded mine to 512. Stuck with the same lame 4GB RAM however.

Always thought I'd stick with laptop, but you got me tempted!

rb

« Reply #6823 on: June 20, 2020, 04:13:46 PM »
RAM is everything man, and 4 GB is lacking these days. Gotta crank that up man.

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6824 on: June 21, 2020, 06:00:08 AM »
Ahh I see now why you were focusing on the 21" size.  You take it places.  I've had 27" iMac beasts for a while now and love them and always recommend the 27" size but mine don't move off the desk.  I used to use a Mac Pro (the big, old aluminum things) with 30" screen but these 27" screens are so much better.

current apple products in use:
27" iMac 4 Ghz i7 with 27" apple screen next to it, 24 GB ram, 5k retina or whatever they call it.  Good screens
13" MacBook Pro 2.7 Ghz i7, 16 GB ram - the one with the shitty keyboard but apple already replaced it once for free.
newest iPad Pro - recent gift, 11", 256 GB storage, good floating keyboard case thingy with trackpad
iPhone 11 Pro max, green color.  Very good phone, battery lasts at least 2 days

my wife wears the Apple Watch in the pool every day.  Still seems so strange for some reason.  Uses it to jog so she doesn't have to bring her phone to listen to music and track the run in one of those apps.  AirPods Pro seem to stay in while running better than the first version

needless to say, I am a devoted customer / fanboy.

-- I had to use a windows laptop to program a new key on our Toyota yesterday and it was painful.  I am sure they have improved a lot and all that but it sure was annoying with all the little pop up stuff in the system tray and little messages you have to "x" out of to continue what you are doing. --

FAN-FRIGGIN-TASTIC!!!!!

I messaged the guy last week because I saw that the 1TB SSD was only an additional $50 & he said no problem, so I sent the funds.

After a 3ish hour restore from Time Machine backup & subsequent setup, I'm in business.

My late 2013 MacBook Air with 256SSD & 4GB of RAM is still plenty fast but this iMac is a beast in comparison. I can actually see the screen at a distance now & there'll be no more offloading files due to HD size constraints. I'll find out tonight if latency gets reduced when sending MIDI data from a synthesizer to Ableton.

I found a Gator case made specifically for traveling with a 21" iMac & just ordered it.

I can carry everything I need into a venue in one trip (for now just friends houses for jams) if I use the 61 key Yamaha & 2 trips if I bring the 88 key.

a Bose compact L1 PA in one hand, & the iMac with accessories in a Gator case in the other hand.

---

« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 06:04:43 AM by gfp »

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #6825 on: June 21, 2020, 06:46:33 AM »
Ahh I see now why you were focusing on the 21" size.  You take it places.  I've had 27" iMac beasts for a while now and love them and always recommend the 27" size but mine don't move off the desk.  I used to use a Mac Pro (the big, old aluminum things) with 30" screen but these 27" screens are so much better.

current apple products in use:
27" iMac 4 Ghz i7 with 27" apple screen next to it, 24 GB ram, 5k retina or whatever they call it.  Good screens
13" MacBook Pro 2.7 Ghz i7, 16 GB ram - the one with the shitty keyboard but apple already replaced it once for free.
newest iPad Pro - recent gift, 11", 256 GB storage, good floating keyboard case thingy with trackpad
iPhone 11 Pro max, green color.  Very good phone, battery lasts at least 2 days

my wife wears the Apple Watch in the pool every day.  Still seems so strange for some reason.  Uses it to jog so she doesn't have to bring her phone to listen to music and track the run in one of those apps.  AirPods Pro seem to stay in while running better than the first version

needless to say, I am a devoted customer / fanboy.

-- I had to use a windows laptop to program a new key on our Toyota yesterday and it was painful.  I am sure they have improved a lot and all that but it sure was annoying with all the little pop up stuff in the system tray and little messages you have to "x" out of to continue what you are doing. --

FAN-FRIGGIN-TASTIC!!!!!

---

I used to scoff at Apple fans before I went to work for ECO & subsequently got one for myself.

You can easily mistake the BestBuy PC clone department for a Mac farm.
They all mimic the form factor & design of MacBooks, but the OS is a mess.

iCloud is a huge lynchpin IMO. I remember the first iterations being OK'ish but now, everything is seamless.
Being able to work with various files on one platform & have them immediately available on another is priceless.
All that and no hoops to jump through to make it happen.

I looked at the 27" screen & would love to have that much real estate.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • libertyrpf.com
    • http://www.libertyrpf.com
« Reply #6826 on: June 22, 2020, 11:53:01 AM »
Really exciting news about the transition to new, custom ARM silicon for the Mac line. Really looking forward to it, and it seems like they've managed the transition well with the new Rosetta, Universal binaries, and ability to run iOS apps directly on Mac OS. We'll see how the execution is, but I wouldn't be surprised if the new Macbooks that come out this fall won't have really impressive benchmarks and some really useful features that they haven't talked about yet (FaceID?).

Xerxes

« Reply #6827 on: June 23, 2020, 06:22:40 PM »
Hot damn !!
Forgot about share buybacks or growing dividends

Check this out !
This is proper capital return to shareholders => re-investment in the flywheel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgbPSA94Rqg

The trailer for Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 06:34:07 PM by Xerxes »

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • libertyrpf.com
    • http://www.libertyrpf.com

LC

« Reply #6829 on: July 05, 2020, 07:57:34 PM »
Thank you for posting, Liberty - a good read. Some highlights, although really the entire article is worth the read:

Apple hasn’t just held its own in the smartphone space but rather is continuing to take share from Android. Of all the smartphone manufacturers, Apple saw the largest sales share increase in the smartphone industry last quarter, and that was during a pandemic. 

Apple is adding approximately 20 million new iPad users per year despite the iPad being 10 years old and already having an installed base exceeding 300 million users.

Apple’s oldest major product category, the Mac, is adding 10 million new users per year.

Apple Watch and AirPods are quickly approaching 100 million user bases each.

Apple users are paying for 518 million subscriptions across Apple’s platforms, which is up 126 million in just a year. 
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
akam| brk.b | goog | irm | lyv | net | nlsn | pm | ssd | t | tfsl | v | wfc | xom