Author Topic: AAPL - Apple Inc.  (Read 1612284 times)

Palantir

Re: AAPL - Apple Inc.
« Reply #420 on: September 20, 2012, 09:36:01 PM »
Those who are saying Apple could fail badly, what scenarios lead you into thinking that? Is it because you feel they will stop making good products, or that people will stop liking them? To me it does not seem that Apple's valuation show excessive growth expectations.

If anything, I feel that they have a lot of room to grow in the PC/tablet market.
My Portfolio: AMZN, PYPL

valueInv

« Reply #421 on: September 21, 2012, 12:21:00 AM »
I forgot this little detail - The iPhone 4s was outselling all LTE smartphones combined at Verizon:

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2012/09/13/bored-by-iphone-5-careful-you-might-get-what-youre-asking-for/

How is that for specs?

bathtime

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #422 on: September 21, 2012, 09:42:07 AM »
http://dashes.com/anil/2012/09/who-benefits-from-ios6s-crappy-maps.html

---------
 Apple made this maps change despite its shortcomings because they put their own priorities for corporate strategy ahead of user experience. That's a huge change for Apple in the post-iPod era, where they've built so much of their value by doing the hard work as a company so that things could be easy for users. I'm not suggesting (yet) that this is a pattern, and that Apple will start to regularly compromise its user experiences in order to focus on its squabbles with other tech titans. But history shows that dominant players in every era of operating system history have reached a turning point where they shift from the user experience and customer benefits which earned them their dominance to platform integration efforts which are primarily aimed at boxing out competitors. It'll be interesting to see which direction Apple's maps follow.
----------

rmitz

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #423 on: September 21, 2012, 10:43:11 AM »
http://dashes.com/anil/2012/09/who-benefits-from-ios6s-crappy-maps.html

---------
 Apple made this maps change despite its shortcomings because they put their own priorities for corporate strategy ahead of user experience. That's a huge change for Apple in the post-iPod era, where they've built so much of their value by doing the hard work as a company so that things could be easy for users. I'm not suggesting (yet) that this is a pattern, and that Apple will start to regularly compromise its user experiences in order to focus on its squabbles with other tech titans. But history shows that dominant players in every era of operating system history have reached a turning point where they shift from the user experience and customer benefits which earned them their dominance to platform integration efforts which are primarily aimed at boxing out competitors. It'll be interesting to see which direction Apple's maps follow.
----------

So, I've actually used the maps function and it seems like a vast improvement to me.  I'll take it.  The google maps app was left to rust by google, the apple one will be enhanced; it's just a matter of tradeoffs in terms of which features to work on first.

Also, all this yelling seems a lot to me like people complaining about not having a floppy drive in the original iMac.  Anyone remember that?

valueInv

« Reply #424 on: September 21, 2012, 11:17:50 AM »
Apple made this maps change despite its shortcomings because they put their own priorities for corporate strategy ahead of user experience.

In the short term yes, over the long term they they will probably produce a better user experience that Google. Already, the satellite/3D view is much better than Google's.

But history shows that dominant players in every era of operating system history have reached a turning point where they shift from the user experience and customer benefits which earned them their dominance to platform integration efforts which are primarily aimed at boxing out competitors.
The one company that does that comes to mind is Google. I don't think MSFT ever had a focus on user experience. In fact, they did a reverse shift - they went from not caring to actually innovating in user experience in Windows 8 (Finally!)

DCG

• Lifetime Member
    • Venture Blend
« Reply #425 on: September 21, 2012, 12:07:31 PM »
One thing that's interesting is that there are all of these comparisons on websites, but it doesn't seem them are comparing the previous Google Maps on iPhone to Maps on iPhone, they're comparing Android Google Maps to the Apple Maps App. Obviously Apple's isn't going to be as robust, as Google has been working on their Maps for years, but Google had really stopped updating the Google Maps app for iOS so this seems like a logical move for Apple.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #426 on: September 21, 2012, 12:26:59 PM »
One thing that's interesting is that there are all of these comparisons on websites, but it doesn't seem them are comparing the previous Google Maps on iPhone to Maps on iPhone, they're comparing Android Google Maps to the Apple Maps App. Obviously Apple's isn't going to be as robust, as Google has been working on their Maps for years, but Google had really stopped updating the Google Maps app for iOS so this seems like a logical move for Apple.

The app is just a client for the back-end which is on Google's servers. Google maps on Android and iOS should be functionally pretty much the same.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

tng

« Reply #427 on: September 21, 2012, 02:17:56 PM »
I don't think the maps thing is a big deal. There was antenna gate. And there was iPads overheating, etc. The new maps app is not that bad. Google maps is better, but it is far from perfect. If I follow Google's maps I'd occasionally go off a bridge or into a building too.

Google pretty much forced Apple to make their own app when they refused to give turn by turn, started asking for a lot of money, and started injecting ads into the app. The Apple vs Google war is on and Google clearly wants the Android to be superior in this aspect.

Stuff like public transit can be added in with a software update. Getting high quality map data will be more difficult, but I think there is a lot of demand for a non-Google solution now because Google is trying to monetize Google Maps and many companies are not willing to pay up (ex: Four Square decided to change maps too).

I have always questioned Google's business strategy. Google has a bad habit of waging war with other tech giants and spending a lot of money in the process (and I don't think they get a reasonable return, if any, it's funded by their search/advertising product). I can see Apple striking back and turning Do Not Track on Safari, which would be a pretty big blow to Google, Microsoft is trying to do it on IE. Wouldn't it be crazy if Apple and Microsoft end up forming an unholy alliance and they team up on a maps project?  Because Microsoft has been putting a lot of work onto Bing's maps.

stahleyp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #428 on: September 22, 2012, 05:02:45 PM »
Does anyone else think it's weird that apple's market cap is worth close to MSFT and XOM combined?   ???

I believe those are the top 3 market caps.
Paul

LC

« Reply #429 on: September 22, 2012, 05:32:38 PM »
Does anyone else think it's weird that apple's market cap is worth close to MSFT and XOM combined?   ???

I believe those are the top 3 market caps.
\
I do. The only problem is timing the fall. History has shown time and time again that what goes up must come down, the only question is when.
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
akam| brk.b | goog | irm | lyv | net | nlsn | pm | ssd | t | tfsl | v | wfc | xom