Author Topic: AAPL - Apple Inc.  (Read 1612296 times)

Dash

Re: AAPL - Apple Inc.
« Reply #460 on: October 01, 2012, 06:56:41 PM »
I agree with DCG.. I used the app for the last week and the interface and usability is far far superior to google maps. Once the
they fix the problems people will switch back. It's accurate throughout Southern California and I've had no problems with it.  I would never go back to google maps.
The phone itself is fantastic and I'm not surprised it's selling well.

Ross812

• Lifetime Member
  • Move over KY
« Reply #461 on: October 01, 2012, 08:37:24 PM »
I have talked to several of my friends who downloaded ios6. Not one of them has complained about the mapping application. One of my friends who has a nexus 7 said Google's mapping app was better but the Apple app worked flawlessly. On a side note, out of the four people I talked to who had iPhones, two said they were switching to Android for their next phone. One said he was only continuing with the iPhone because of his grandfathered at & t unlimited plan. A very small sampling but telling none the least. Not one of them said they were particularly angry about any iPhone problems, they just wanted a change and some of the features (especially the huge screens) android phones offer appealed to them. I asked every one of them if they were worried about losing their paid apps; it was a non issue in every case.
96% Fixed Income CDs, Muni, Corporate Debt - 4% SPX Options

valueInv

« Reply #462 on: October 02, 2012, 01:37:03 AM »
I have talked to several of my friends who downloaded ios6. Not one of them has complained about the mapping application. One of my friends who has a nexus 7 said Google's mapping app was better but the Apple app worked flawlessly. On a side note, out of the four people I talked to who had iPhones, two said they were switching to Android for their next phone. One said he was only continuing with the iPhone because of his grandfathered at & t unlimited plan. A very small sampling but telling none the least. Not one of them said they were particularly angry about any iPhone problems, they just wanted a change and some of the features (especially the huge screens) android phones offer appealed to them. I asked every one of them if they were worried about losing their paid apps; it was a non issue in every case.

Surprisingly, consumer reports seems to agree:

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2012/09/smart-phone-navigation-showdown-apple-ios6-vs-google-android.html

mysticdrew

« Reply #463 on: October 03, 2012, 08:08:14 AM »
One said he was only continuing with the iPhone because of his grandfathered at & t unlimited plan.

Someone should tell your friend he doesn't need to stay on Iphone to continue to be grandfathered into the at&t unlimited plan.  You can switch to any other smartphone and keep the unlimited.

Ross812

• Lifetime Member
  • Move over KY
« Reply #464 on: October 03, 2012, 09:38:26 AM »
One said he was only continuing with the iPhone because of his grandfathered at & t unlimited plan.

Someone should tell your friend he doesn't need to stay on Iphone to continue to be grandfathered into the at&t unlimited plan.  You can switch to any other smartphone and keep the unlimited.

I'll let him know. He is under the impression he is under the 4-5 year old iPhone data plan which includes unlimited data.
96% Fixed Income CDs, Muni, Corporate Debt - 4% SPX Options

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #465 on: October 03, 2012, 11:54:30 AM »
Going for vector graphics was a good idea. Wouldn't be surprised if google switched too at some point (they didn't start that way because it wasn't as big a deal on the desktop browser, but with mobile data rates, it matters more ).

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/report-ios-6-maps-is-data-efficient-compared-to-predecessor/
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #466 on: October 03, 2012, 12:27:59 PM »
Going for vector graphics was a good idea. Wouldn't be surprised if google switched too at some point (they didn't start that way because it wasn't as big a deal on the desktop browser, but with mobile data rates, it matters more ).

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/report-ios-6-maps-is-data-efficient-compared-to-predecessor/

That might matter right now, but in the future as cost for bandwidth becomes cheaper and network speeds increase it will matter less and less.  That said, I just got my first tablet this week, an iPad 3, and I have to say I'm impressed so far.  The first thing I did was upgrade it to ios6 so I have no experience with ios5 to compare it to, but with less than one weeks use I don't see the problem with the maps app or see any big difference from using google maps on a browser.  The display really is impressive.  I've tried an iPad 2 before for an hour or so and you really can tell the difference in the display.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #467 on: October 03, 2012, 12:59:02 PM »
That might matter right now, but in the future as cost for bandwidth becomes cheaper and network speeds increase it will matter less and less.

Yes and no. Bandwidth for smartphones will be tight because there's just so much radio frequency open right now and the number of smartphones is going up rapidly and the data-transfer usage per phone is also going up fast. So savings are important.

On the desktop it matters a lot less.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

valueInv

« Reply #468 on: October 05, 2012, 04:06:31 PM »
They're beginning to fix it pretty quickly:

http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/05/apple-improves-maps-new-york-city/

This was what I was hoping to see.

valueInv

« Reply #469 on: October 05, 2012, 04:07:36 PM »

That might matter right now, but in the future as cost for bandwidth becomes cheaper and network speeds increase it will matter less and less.  That said, I just got my first tablet this week, an iPad 3, and I have to say I'm impressed so far.  The first thing I did was upgrade it to ios6 so I have no experience with ios5 to compare it to, but with less than one weeks use I don't see the problem with the maps app or see any big difference from using google maps on a browser.  The display really is impressive.  I've tried an iPad 2 before for an hour or so and you really can tell the difference in the display.

Operators are slowly forcing customers off unlimited plans. The cost of bandwidth will probably matter more than it has in the past.