Author Topic: AAPL - Apple Inc.  (Read 1612221 times)

rimm_never_sleeps

Re: AAPL - Apple Inc.
« Reply #480 on: October 25, 2012, 09:17:00 AM »
the pundits verdict? don't buy a mini yet until it becomes a much better value proposition for customers. apple put a 2 year old screen on it and gave it a premium price. typical I guess.

http://bgr.com/2012/10/24/apple-ipad-mini-criticism-price-too-high/

racemize

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #481 on: October 25, 2012, 09:36:15 AM »
yeah, I wouldn't mind downsizing size for reading (mostly what I use the ipad for now), but it not being retina makes me think it won't be for me (I find retina to be extremely important for my reading, almost as good as eink). 

valueInv

« Reply #482 on: October 25, 2012, 10:09:18 AM »
the pundits verdict? don't buy a mini yet until it becomes a much better value proposition for customers. apple put a 2 year old screen on it and gave it a premium price. typical I guess.

Except that you have a screen that is 50% larger.

VAL9000

« Reply #483 on: October 25, 2012, 10:17:03 AM »

I agree that the price is too high for the value proposition.. but I wouldn't say that Apple putting old technology into their products is typical of their business.  Apple has consistently been a leader in product innovation and technology, and their components are more typically market leading than lagging.  There are exceptions, but I dispute the idea that Apple has gained its position by addressing the market with old technology, pretty package, and high price.

My question for the board is, if the iPad mini turns out to be an unsuccessful product, does it mark the beginning of the end of Apple's product dominance?

This is a bold question, but it stems from recent product concerns:
 - iPhone 5 appears to be wonderful, but suffers from quality control issues that i would consider "obvious"
 - the new nano is hideous
 - the iPad mini is a reactive product

Slicing off just these elements of the Apple product mix, my interpretation is that Apple is having trouble delivering without Steve Jobs.  I know that's a cliche thing to say, but here are my thoughts:
 - iPhone 5 overall concept is excellent (Steve involved in concept/development), actual hardware/software quality are not at standard (Steve not involved)
 - iPod nano (clearly Steve not involved)
 - iPad mini (product that Steve argued against, probably not involved)

This isn't quite a trend, but if the iPad mini doesn't make the grade, then I say that it does make a trend.  Hence my question.

Palantir

« Reply #484 on: October 25, 2012, 10:32:15 AM »
Disagree....I think the iPod nano is really nice. The iPad mini is decent but probably not priced well enough to make a difference. Why not just spend 70 more and get an iPad...
My Portfolio: AMZN, PYPL

rimm_never_sleeps

« Reply #485 on: October 25, 2012, 10:41:52 AM »
some of their new commercials are simply cringe worthy. and the new google chromebook commercial is fantastic.

valueInv

« Reply #486 on: October 25, 2012, 10:55:25 AM »

- iPad mini (product that Steve argued against, probably not involved)

This isn't quite a trend, but if the iPad mini doesn't make the grade, then I say that it does make a trend.  Hence my question.

Steve agreed with the iPad mini:
http://allthingsd.com/20120803/apples-eddy-cue-saw-market-for-7-inch-tablet-in-2011-said-should-do-one/

If the iPad mini is a reactive product then so it the iPod, iPhone and iPad since mp3 players, smartphones and iPads existed before Apple entered the market.

I agree on the iPod nano thought. I don't think it should have been refreshed. The last version was good enough, it is not a growing market. I wish they would have put those resources on other products.

I think Apple is beginning to have too many products. They need to clean up their product lines and start some cutting.

valueInv

« Reply #487 on: October 25, 2012, 10:56:46 AM »
some of their new commercials are simply cringe worthy. and the new google chromebook commercial is fantastic.

You mean the new commercial where you don't know what they are talking about until the very end?

rimm_never_sleeps

racemize

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #489 on: October 25, 2012, 11:08:06 AM »
I gotta say, that commercial was annoying.  Also, would it even work in the back seat of the car?