Author Topic: BABA - Alibaba  (Read 121846 times)

cameronfen

Re: BABA - Alibaba
« Reply #260 on: January 05, 2021, 11:27:45 AM »
So apparently just another American media made hoax that Ma is "missing"...not surprising.

Like anywhere else, understand the rules of engagement in the game and on the playing field with which you play. Rather simple.

I think (hope) Ma is fine, but I agree this is the game you play investing in China.  I should say I am long here too and I donít want to sound like the peanut gallery on the sidelines.

elliott

« Reply #261 on: January 05, 2021, 01:23:48 PM »
Accounting schemes at Chinese tech giants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiNTdRTpbKY&ab_channel=RealVisionFinance

with Kyle Bass, known for his objectivity in China matters
still, may be worth watching

Fitz

« Reply #262 on: January 06, 2021, 10:43:48 AM »
I recently entered BABA on the Ant news and re-pricing. I think Alibaba has a business model on the commerce side more attractive than Amazon as they sell a far higher percentage from 3rd party where they are taking no inventory risks and is a capital lighter model. They also have much of the shipping network outsourced which is currently a strength, and has been by far the early winner allowing them to scale faster than JD or competitors, well have to see long term if this holds up, but has surely been an asset for scaling so rapidly. There data and advertising arm on Taobao is humming along and they get a large amount of search data that happen inside of their domains.

I could be wrong but I think when you step back and look at where China wants to be, world leaders in tech, Alibaba is the crown jewel and I doubt they would try to permanently impair that franchise. All the the current pressure has surrounded Ant, which I wasn't a huge fan of how Jack divested that from BABA in the first place, maybe a little karma there.

clutch

« Reply #263 on: January 07, 2021, 05:09:46 PM »
"Beijing orders Chinese media to censor coverage of Alibaba probe"

https://www.ft.com/content/62fe82c5-b058-4dd0-bb15-e9428593f078

MattR

« Reply #264 on: January 13, 2021, 01:03:12 AM »
From Amazon's 10k:

Shipping costs to receive products from our suppliers are included in our inventory and recognized as cost of sales upon sale of products to our customers.Shipping costs, which include sortation and delivery centers and transportation costs, were $27.7 billion and $37.9 billion in 2018 and 2019.

I can't find the shipping costs for Alibaba anywhere. They have a company in the Alibaba Group that is resonsible for shipping but I can't find any financials on how much it costs them.
Anyone has ideas?