Author Topic: ALS.TO - Altius Minerals  (Read 1790723 times)

Dazel

Re: ALS.TO - Altius Minerals
« Reply #160 on: May 03, 2011, 04:34:25 PM »

http://www.consolidatedthompson.com/i/pdf/news/july_20_09.pdf

Wisco's  19.9% stake for $240m and their guarantee of purchase of 4m tonnes of iron ore concentrate made them about $750m profit in a little over a year! plus they have secured supply.

www.wisco.com.cn/wisco_en/brief/aboutus.shtml -

They are the number 3 producer of steel in China....Dalton has lot's of options.

China producer's have been smart..they are monetizing assets while securing supply. By investing in projects they are driving up the value of those projects making a profit for themselves. But  the increase in value they bring to projects by ensuring demand is being financed by other investor's. Thompson rasied debt after they took their stake and put in future secured sales. smart all the way around

Dazel.

goldfinger

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2011, 05:15:31 PM »
Anyone care to elaborate on that? Why was it expected, and what's going on there? I haven't been following Alderon too closely lately..

You know Alderon just went up a lot on resource announcements but now it has to find financing to go to production. If you look at similar
past cases like Thomson, the stock tends to bob up and down for a while until this is finalized.
Dazel gave very good points on finding chinese partners and selling to them instead of on the market. I had silent similar thoughts in the last few weeks.

Cheers!

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2011, 07:37:44 PM »
Thanks Goldfinger, and thanks Dazel, your updates are always very insightful.

Cheers!

update: Wow, really going down today. -6.13% right now
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 08:04:19 AM by Liberty »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

newbee

« Reply #163 on: May 04, 2011, 07:50:10 AM »
New comer to this Great board. Is there a reason why there is a 5% price difference between between atusf.pk and als.to 12.42 Vs 11.92. Thanks

bathtime

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #164 on: May 04, 2011, 08:13:22 AM »
New comer to this Great board. Is there a reason why there is a 5% price difference between between atusf.pk and als.to 12.42 Vs 11.92. Thanks

It's the USD/CAD exchange rate.

Dazel

« Reply #165 on: May 04, 2011, 09:15:05 AM »

No sugar coating boys Altius has been hit very hard. tough to watch. we feel your pain!
picking some up here.

Dazel.

Myth465

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #166 on: May 04, 2011, 03:19:23 PM »

No sugar coating boys Altius has been hit very hard. tough to watch. we feel your pain!
picking some up here.  Dazel.

I plan on holding. This seems like a set and forget kinda deal. A little pain is healthy, keeps everyone honest and filters out the rift raft. Though it still hurts. Thanks again for the updates.

jjsto

« Reply #167 on: May 04, 2011, 03:43:41 PM »
The recent volatility doesnt bother me too much for two reasons:  1) I havent seen anything that would lead me to believe any of their projects are fundamentally different today than they were 3 weeks ago.  So, as long as there is no bad news from their projects (alderon in particular) this might be an opportunity for the people that bought recently to average down.  2) This is still an exploration/development type commodities company (with low cash flow relative to market cap), and a certain amount of volatility should be expected in spite of their strong balance sheet.

I plan on holding till Alderon starts producing, gets taken out, or development is for some reason delayed/halted. 

goldfinger

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #168 on: May 04, 2011, 04:13:24 PM »

I must be masochistic I picked up some more!

Mark Jr.

« Reply #169 on: May 04, 2011, 06:16:53 PM »

Thanks again Dazel. I am very jittery about resources and the state of the markets / economy in general, but I think this is an amazing find which will compound overtime. I plan to hold, learn, and Buy the Dip.

Thanks again.

Me too. This was exacerbated by somebody sending me a communications (somebody from this board, in fact) which included this (the "we are here" was added by me)

I have picked some up, I am considering adding more if this gets much cheaper. Right now I'm also holding SCP (Sprott Resource Corp) for a couple years now and these two are a sizable chunk of my exposure to resources (not counting my gold and silver).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 06:28:54 PM by Mark Jr. »