Author Topic: ALS.TO - Altius Minerals  (Read 1884471 times)

Dazel

Re: ALS.TO - Altius Minerals
« Reply #170 on: May 05, 2011, 12:01:53 PM »

If you read the posted link you will see that the 19.9% was bought for $240m...that would give you a market cap of $1.25b...on their purchase price. They were sold for $4.9 billion (below)...it is is the final stage of closing. I have never seen a company from china reveal how much they make in these types of deals in north America. They are too smart...they obviously trust the principals that have gone to Alderon..why would they not do it again when they know they have the demand in china? Alderon is literally next door but closer to  rail and other services.

dazel.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-01-11/consolidated-thompson-potash-corp-canada-equity-preview.html

MrB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #171 on: May 05, 2011, 12:15:55 PM »
Read it, but it makes no mention of the $240m. What am I missing?

MrB

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #173 on: May 05, 2011, 02:17:47 PM »
Ok, thanks. So to circle back to my original question and let's just focus on the $240m. How much cash has exchanged hands? This was a July 2009 deal, so presumably all of it, if one is to count it as profit...No?

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #174 on: May 06, 2011, 07:07:56 AM »
I just increased my ALS position by 50%. This drop is a nice opportunity.

I probably timed it terribly because that's what I do, and it might drop by 20% soon, but oh well, still a bargain.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 07:37:56 AM by Liberty »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

cwericb

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #175 on: May 06, 2011, 07:35:20 AM »
Yup, bought some more today as well with mixed feelings.

Paid $14.79 a couple of weeks ago.Paid $11.93 today. That`s a 20% drop. Since there seems to be an unwritten rule that whatever I buy takes an immediate drop, I hereby apologize to the other shareholders on this board for whatever damage my purchase does to them today.
Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. - Mark Twain

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #176 on: May 06, 2011, 11:40:41 AM »
cwericb, since what I buy drops and what you buy drops, maybe those two put together will mean that it'll skyrocket? Who knows how that stuff works   ;)
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

cwericb

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #177 on: May 06, 2011, 12:26:02 PM »
Haha, its like some kind of friggin rule isn't it? Buy and the price takes a dive.
Well at least we're up a bit today so far. But it does get sort of discouraging at times. Alderon has been having a decent day as well. I don't know if commodities are leveling off or just taking a breather before they continue to drop. The only thing that gives me confidence is that the population of Asia is not going to disappear and now that they have had a taste of the good life, they are only going to want more of everything. Also I think I read today that this drop in commodities has not had much of an impact on iron ore.
Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. - Mark Twain

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »
I just learned something about iron ore pricing, via Wikipedia:

Iron ore market
Over the last 40 years, iron ore prices have been decided in closed-door negotiations between the small handful of miners and steelmakers which dominate both spot and contract markets. Traditionally, the first deal reached between these two groups sets a benchmark to be followed by the rest of the industry.[2]
This benchmark system has however in recent years begun to break down, with participants along both demand and supply chains calling for a shift to short term pricing. Given that most other commodities already have a mature market-based pricing system, it is natural for iron ore to follow suit. Although exchange-cleared iron ore swap contracts have developed over the past few years, to-date no exchange has established a proper futures market for the largely seaborne $88 billion a year iron ore trade.[6] To answer increasing market demands for more transparent pricing, the pan-Asian multi-product commodity and currency derivatives exchange for global trade Singapore Mercantile Exchange (SMX) is planning to launch soon an iron ore futures contract, subject to regulatory approval from the Monetary Authority of Singapore, based on the Metal Bulletin Iron Ore Index (MBIOI) which utilizes daily price data from a broad spectrum of industry participants and independent Chinese steel consultancy and data provider Shanghai Steelhome's widespread contact base of steel producers and iron ore traders across China.[7]
This move follows a switch to index-based quarterly pricing by the world's three largest iron ore miners - Vale, Rio Tinto and BHP Billiton - in early 2010, breaking a 40-year tradition of benchmark annual pricing.[8]

biaggio

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #179 on: May 06, 2011, 06:38:19 PM »
My impression is that commodity sell off mostly involved the more speculatively priced metals (mostly silver) and energy with financial buyers reassessing their appetite for risk.

In general I am in the Jeremy Granthem + Jimmy Rogers camp in regards to commodities.

By the was ALS.TO will not drop until I increase my holding (then it should drop another 20%). I was tempted today but did not pull the trigger.