Author Topic: ALS.TO - Altius Minerals  (Read 1834913 times)

cwericb

• Lifetime Member
Re: ALS.TO - Altius Minerals
« Reply #7310 on: December 31, 2019, 06:04:58 PM »
I was just trying to wind him up a bit hoping for a response. :)

I actually did very much appreciate his ALS news, just think his sudden disappearance seemed out of character. I don't believe he participated much in any other topic other than ALS. Best of luck to him.

Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. - Mark Twain

bizaro86

« Reply #7311 on: December 31, 2019, 11:03:42 PM »
I agree he doesn't owe us anything. I appreciated his updates a great deal, especially when they related to ALS portfolio companies which may not have come to my attention otherwise. I'm also a deeply curious person, and I'm intrigued by the whole situation. The pattern has nothing in common with a pump and dump, I don't think that fits.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #7312 on: January 03, 2020, 01:04:27 PM »

I actually did very much appreciate his ALS news, just think his sudden disappearance seemed out of character. I don't believe he participated much in any other topic other than ALS. Best of luck to him.

He once said that 100% of his portfolio was in ALS (if I remember correctly), so that would both explain not participating in much else and the unusually intense attachment to the company.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #7313 on: January 16, 2020, 07:19:44 AM »
Update from Altius today:

Brian Dalton, President and Chief Executive Officer of Altius commented: “Including net sale proceeds, Altius’s PG portfolio of junior mining equities generated a strong performance totaling approximately 30%"

That's a good number. But that's also basically what they would've got the past year investing in the SP500, and now they've sold a bunch of stuff ("During the year the number of portfolio holdings was reduced from 27 to 18") because these aren't the types of holdings you can just hold on for a long time and watch compound, but rather you have to time in and out as cycles come and go and exploration gets lucky or unlucky. Hard game to play...
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #7314 on: January 21, 2020, 09:35:28 AM »
I was thinking that this is one of the most range-bound stocks that I know of... It may look pretty flat over the past decade, but if you put the SP500 as your opportunity cost (which is pretty reasonable, since it's the easiest and most obvious thing to invest in for most), then it doesn't look quite as flat...

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #7315 on: February 05, 2020, 07:39:19 AM »

He once said that 100% of his portfolio was in ALS (if I remember correctly), so that would both explain not participating in much else and the unusually intense attachment to the company.

I guess he's really gone... Didn't even say goodbye

SharperDingaan

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #7316 on: February 05, 2020, 09:59:25 AM »

I guess he's really gone... Didn't even say goodbye

Or maybe more of a case of the bad just driving out the good.

SD

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #7317 on: February 05, 2020, 10:06:07 AM »

SD

Yeah, asking questions on a discussion forum is baaaad.

How's your cup of coffee today? Good or bad? There's a 50% chance it's either one, right?

Gamecock-YT

« Reply #7318 on: February 05, 2020, 10:11:44 AM »

SD

How's your cup of coffee today? Good or bad? There's a 50% chance it's either one, right?

Please. Did he bring some of the stuff on himself? Sure. But did you take pleasure on egging him on? I would bet so.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #7319 on: February 05, 2020, 10:32:57 AM »

SD

Please. Did he bring some of the stuff on himself? Sure. But did you take pleasure on egging him on? I would bet so.

Who are you talking about, SD or Lin? And what egging him on? I don't know what you mean by that.

All I did was challenge some unchallenged claims and then discuss the answers, which is exactly what a discussion forum should be. When everybody is sitting on the same side of the boat, bad things tend to happen. It's healthy to have diverging opinions, it sharpens thinking. I'd rather that newcomers and lurkers who come to a thread get various takes and make up their minds about which makes the most sense than have everybody all singing kumbaya and saying that everything is amazing while the stock underperforms the index by 150% over a decade.