Author Topic: ALS.TO - Altius Minerals  (Read 1784146 times)

Ross812

• Lifetime Member
  • Move over KY
Re: ALS.TO - Altius Minerals
« Reply #870 on: October 29, 2012, 08:34:06 PM »
"Cleveland-Cliffs have previously examined the possibility of installing a manganese reduction plant
that would reduce the manganese content of ore processed to allow production of the current pellet
products to continue, with their manganese content of either 1.2% or 2.0%, from ores that would
contain up to 4.0% manganese."

from with in the old Strachcona report.

Alderon is at 1.6% maganese well with in the range of 1% or 2 % that Cliffs is desiring at Wabush. It explains their high cost 40 year
old mine ($125 cash cost a ton last quarter) with very little desirable reserves left without the additional cost and hence why they bought Thompson Consolidated...where once they get operations on track they will do very well.

Not sure why Wabush is being compared to Alderon or Bloom lake very different.

dazel.

Exactly right! Structural steel should be <4% Mn or greater than 8 percent Mn. Going from 62 to ~100% Fe in steel means Mn is concentrated by a factor of 1.6. In order to stay below 4% Mn the ore must be 4/1.6. = <2.5%. Greater than 4% and Mn starts making steel very ductile. We can't have our bridges sagging! To use high Mn steels other elements need to be alloyed into the steel and you start to get into specialty steel.
96% Fixed Income CDs, Muni, Corporate Debt - 4% SPX Options

nostradamus

« Reply #871 on: October 30, 2012, 03:48:31 AM »
http://www.alderonironore.com/_resources/news/2012-10-29-NewsRelease.pdf

Alderon also announces that while the progress of the feasibility study on the Kami Property continues to advance, certain engineering studies and optimization analyses within the overall feasibility initiative are taking more time to conduct and finalize than originally anticipated. The results of the study may still be released during the fourth quarter of 2012, but in any event, the results of the feasibility study will be released prior to January 31, 2013. This delay will not affect Alderon’s project development timeline.

Dazel

« Reply #872 on: October 30, 2012, 01:55:18 PM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-10-29/sandstorm-bets-on-buying-not-finding-gas-gold-corporate-canada.html?cmpid=yhoo

The guy at Sandstorm was interviewed by Jim Cramer....he is the darling of the royalty business right now...their capital for investing is about half of what the Altius war chest has despite their $1.2 billion dollar market cap...They are now entering nontraditional royalties area as "the world's first diversified streaming business." sound familiar?

I guess the question is he and his team smarter than Brian Dalton and his team? At a fourth the price we like Altius odds but it is frustrating to watch for sure.

Note: if Dalton is ever interviewed by Cramer we will sell the next day.
Dazel.

Dazel

« Reply #873 on: October 31, 2012, 06:21:15 AM »
http://business.financialpost.com/2012/08/23/royalty-firms-strike-gold/

Interesting article.....Sandstorm raised the capital they have...

We know that Altius has looked at many deals...it will be interesting to see if they pull the trigger sooner or rather than later.

Dazel.

hohi

« Reply #874 on: October 31, 2012, 01:04:54 PM »
I am also a shareholder of both the Sandstorm companies. I'm not sure if you realized that there are two of them - one that only makes deals on gold streams and another one that makes deals with all the other resource companies. Although Altius is 2nd largest portfolio position (and I plan to build that up over the next few years if the prices keep this low) I am pretty sure that the Sandstorm guys are a lot more experienced on the financial side of deals. But they are a lot more aggressive also and that brings risk with it.

Anyway, Altius will yield some 15%+ at current prices once Kami is up and running and they are dividending out the revenues from that. It's a very low risk play on ressources in my view and I just love the current prices to build my already big position to an even larger one ;).

Cheers!
Cheers,
hohi.

current resource positions: ALS.TO  //  NILSY  //  IVN.TO   //   DPM.TO   //   GAZ

ItsAValueTrap

• Blog
« Reply #875 on: October 31, 2012, 01:18:23 PM »
I think Sandstorm understands that you should sell stock when it is overpriced.  Those who get into the pyramid scheme will actually make money.  But if you are late...

2- Altius is one of the few companies in the mining space that actually buys back its shares.  (But even Altius understands that you should sell stock when it is overpriced.)  Teck, Potash, Northfield Capital are other companies that buy back shares.  Teck didn't do so in 08/09 because of too much debt.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 01:21:03 PM by ItsAValueTrap »
"It's far better to buy a wonderful company at a fair price than a fair company at a wonderful price. " -Buffett

my blog

Dazel

« Reply #876 on: October 31, 2012, 02:37:03 PM »

Nolan Watson of Sandstorm was CFO at Silverwheaten did over a billion in deals...

They own a royalty on the former Altius property Ming mine (Rambler metals)....

Dazel

« Reply #877 on: October 31, 2012, 03:05:12 PM »
This is what Virginia mines has been up to:

http://minesvirginia.com/en/index.php/press-en/virginia-and-franco-nevada-jointly-acquire-the-initial-royalty-on-the-eastmain-property-11/

They are Altius partner below...

http://altiusminerals.com/press-releases/view/261

It is likely that Altius will now rotate it's exploration towards precious metals...hence the partnership with Virginia mines and slowly entering south America. Would be nice to have a successful exploration season....

Dazel.

hohi

« Reply #878 on: October 31, 2012, 11:20:59 PM »
A few weeks back I talked to Chad from ALS and he told me that they expect a lot of future JV's/Royalties to come out of Chile. He did also mention that they are not specifically looking for Copper/Gold, but that it was more because of the business environment that brought them "down there".

Thanks for all your input guys. This is truly one of the most informative and least spammed boards I know :). Keep it up.
Cheers,
hohi.

current resource positions: ALS.TO  //  NILSY  //  IVN.TO   //   DPM.TO   //   GAZ

Dazel

« Reply #879 on: November 01, 2012, 03:47:10 AM »

They are entering chile Smartly....$14 million non recourse loan in a jv with Zeus capital. It fits their seasonal staffing mandate as well as the weather in their northern climate is prohibitive in the winter time. The exploration team is the backbone of the company so it will likely also help with keeping good people around.

It also has little to no effect on capital structure as noted by the non recourse loan...chile in effect is trying to bring more mining activity to the country.

Interestingly, Rick Rule of Sprott was asked where he thought mining was politically safe in the world... had only one answer chile.

Dazel.