Author Topic: AMZN - Amazon.com Inc.  (Read 680900 times)

hyten1

• Lifetime Member
Re: AMZN - Amazon.com Inc.
« Reply #2150 on: October 04, 2018, 01:59:43 PM »
oddball

this is interesting, i am no expert, if this is true does it apply to individuals? so the company have to deny yet if you interview individual, the individual can confirm it ... anonymously?

i need more info on this

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies

Amazon chief security officer response to Businessweek article:

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/security/setting-the-record-straight-on-bloomberg-businessweeks-erroneous-article/

If they're received an NSL they are required by law to deny this.  And given the circumstances I can't imagine they don't have an NSL.

hyten1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2151 on: October 04, 2018, 02:26:02 PM »
i have to say this bloomberg news is so disturbing however you look at it, the odd thing is, if the news is true its actually the lessor of the 2 evils.

- If the story is true - this is so clear cut and simple, it us against them, china our enemy, its clear what needs to be done, remove all server (if they haven't already done, which is very strange) build up critical manufacturing in the US, inspect/check etc etc.

- If the story is not true - this for me is actually the most disturbing option. this means some entity (most likely US gov) is trying to manipulate everyone, lying to us, using their powers to deceive us to bend to their will. its even worse now considering the current administration which i completely don't trust. what else can they do and will do.  to undermine democracy. will be go to war under false pretense, this further validates that we can't trust anyone, not our government, not the media etc.

hillfronter83

« Reply #2152 on: October 04, 2018, 02:31:47 PM »
oddball

this is interesting, i am no expert, if this is true does it apply to individuals? so the company have to deny yet if you interview individual, the individual can confirm it ... anonymously?

i need more info on this

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2018-10-04/the-big-hack-how-china-used-a-tiny-chip-to-infiltrate-america-s-top-companies

Amazon chief security officer response to Businessweek article:

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/security/setting-the-record-straight-on-bloomberg-businessweeks-erroneous-article/

If they're received an NSL they are required by law to deny this.  And given the circumstances I can't imagine they don't have an NSL.

And also why would Amazon's denial statement be so specific? Isn't it misleading to shareholders and inviting of shareholder lawsuits similar to Musk?

rb

« Reply #2153 on: October 04, 2018, 02:50:25 PM »
It's better if lawyers chime in. But if they have an NSL it's likely that the companies have immunity from such matters. You can also argue that given the size of Amazon and Apple such matters are immaterial to the stock price.

Spekulatius

« Reply #2154 on: October 05, 2018, 04:26:11 AM »
i have to say this bloomberg news is so disturbing however you look at it, the odd thing is, if the news is true its actually the lessor of the 2 evils.

- If the story is true - this is so clear cut and simple, it us against them, china our enemy, its clear what needs to be done, remove all server (if they haven't already done, which is very strange) build up critical manufacturing in the US, inspect/check etc etc.

- If the story is not true - this for me is actually the most disturbing option. this means some entity (most likely US gov) is trying to manipulate everyone, lying to us, using their powers to deceive us to bend to their will. its even worse now considering the current administration which i completely don't trust. what else can they do and will do.  to undermine democracy. will be go to war under false pretense, this further validates that we can't trust anyone, not our government, not the media etc.

Some of this predates the current government. This is very unlikely a US government plot to get back on China. The Chinese have shown sophistication in cyber warfare before and I think this is just one incident they has been uncovered and the scary thing for me is that there may be many more. What if they can get something into Apple phones that are used by virtually anyone, including government officials? Apple is very good at managing their supply line, unlike this company in question. They have many boots on the ground in China , but still....

I believe they should build a phone for government use that is not build and assembled in China at all. I believe it wood make sense, even if it needs to be sold at a premium. There are enough friendly nations that don’t do these things.
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.

hyten1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2155 on: October 05, 2018, 05:36:57 AM »
spek,

i hear ya, not sure if i share the same sentiment. apple has already come out and denied it (vehemently), without any sort of gaga order, so has others. i have to say when reading the bloomberg doc i had a feeling this just seems too much like a spy novel, with the pic, the micro chip etc etc. the comment about how smci is the "microsoft of hardware" seem trying to sensationalize it and its totally laughable.

if it is true why something hasn't been done about it (its been years), is it still going on with all these little microchip everywhere? don't tell me because its top secret so we don't know or are not previ to the confidential knowledge (they can use this on anything) etc etc. 

if its not true its definitely very concern too

what it comes down to it is the trust of our media and gov has deteriorated, it makes everything questionable, and this bloomberg article does not relieve that in anyway it makes it worst.

Some of this predates the current government. This is very unlikely a US government plot to get back on China. The Chinese have shown sophistication in cyber warfare before and I think this is just one incident they has been uncovered and the scary thing for me is that there may be many more. What if they can get something into Apple phones that are used by virtually anyone, including government officials? Apple is very good at managing their supply line, unlike this company in question. They have many boots on the ground in China , but still....

I believe they should build a phone for government use that is not build and assembled in China at all. I believe it wood make sense, even if it needs to be sold at a premium. There are enough friendly nations that don’t do these things.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #2156 on: October 05, 2018, 08:30:22 AM »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

hillfronter83

« Reply #2157 on: October 05, 2018, 02:26:27 PM »
https://www.servethehome.com/bloomberg-reports-china-infiltrated-the-supermicro-supply-chain-we-investigate/

Here is an article that makes sense. The Bloomberg report makes no sense. Why are “current and former goverment security officials” are allowed to talk to media regarding this “top secret ongoing investigation”?

rb

« Reply #2158 on: October 05, 2018, 03:15:05 PM »
https://www.servethehome.com/bloomberg-reports-china-infiltrated-the-supermicro-supply-chain-we-investigate/

Here is an article that makes sense. The Bloomberg report makes no sense. Why are “current and former goverment security officials” are allowed to talk to media regarding this “top secret ongoing investigation”?
My guess is that the Bloomberg article is probably valid. Given all of the denials from these companies they wouldn't have published without being very confident in their sourcing.

As to why are government security are allowed to talk to media about this? Well sometimes the government wants to leak something. Punching China in the ribs would not be inconsistent with the current administration either.

Spekulatius

« Reply #2159 on: October 05, 2018, 03:57:40 PM »

My guess is that the Bloomberg article is probably valid. Given all of the denials from these companies they wouldn't have published without being very confident in their sourcing.

As to why are government security are allowed to talk to media about this? Well sometimes the government wants to leak something. Punching China in the ribs would not be inconsistent with the current administration either.

Bloomberg isn’t known to make up stories like this. Ind think that if the story is true, within a few weeks, we should see some hardware geeks finding and dissected these laced motherboards. If this doesn’t occur, it would seem a bit suspect to me. I think even if this was a “limited edition” motherboard, some of the laced motherboards should turn up somewhere.
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.