Author Topic: BAM - Brookfield Asset Management  (Read 456192 times)

petec

Re: BAM - Brookfield Asset Management
« Reply #1440 on: March 26, 2020, 02:32:56 PM »
The letter says:

• Our shares have sold off along with everything else. We have been acquiring, and will continue to acquire
our own shares for value when it makes sense – and in time, we are certain they will recover.

Seems like they've mostly been buying BPY, not parent, unless I'm missing it?

I think you’re right.
FFH MSFT BRK BAM ATCO LNG IHG TFG CGT DC/A

Uccmal

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1441 on: March 26, 2020, 03:01:35 PM »
Bam was buying and cancelling 20-50 k  shares a day more or less for a couple of weeks to March 16.  It either hasn't been updated since March 16 or they stopped.  My source is Ink Insider.  I suppose I could go to that nasty Sedar Site and work it out but I get the gist of it. 
GARP tending toward value

Xerxes

« Reply #1442 on: March 26, 2020, 03:29:50 PM »
I find it also interesting that they mentioned that they have switched their focus to listed equities.
I don’t think we ll see BBU buy blue chip equities like Walk Disney ? Lol. But so not sure where that is going

racemize

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1443 on: March 26, 2020, 03:43:21 PM »
Bam was buying and cancelling 20-50 k  shares a day more or less for a couple of weeks to March 16.  It either hasn't been updated since March 16 or they stopped.  My source is Ink Insider.  I suppose I could go to that nasty Sedar Site and work it out but I get the gist of it.

I'm failing on my google-fu, you have a link?

EliG

« Reply #1444 on: March 26, 2020, 04:00:05 PM »

plato1976

« Reply #1445 on: March 26, 2020, 04:47:08 PM »
what's the chance BPY needs to cut its dividend ?

The letter says:

• Our shares have sold off along with everything else. We have been acquiring, and will continue to acquire
our own shares for value when it makes sense – and in time, we are certain they will recover.

Seems like they've mostly been buying BPY, not parent, unless I'm missing it?

I think you’re right.

gokou3

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1446 on: March 26, 2020, 06:40:53 PM »
I find it also interesting that they mentioned that they have switched their focus to listed equities.
I don’t think we ll see BBU buy blue chip equities like Walk Disney ? Lol. But so not sure where that is going
They bought some Transalta:
https://ceo.ca/api/sedi?symbol=ta

petec

« Reply #1447 on: March 27, 2020, 01:01:22 AM »

Disney, no. But within the infrastructure wheelhouse (broadly defined) they will be looking for value and distress. As another posted has noted they have increased their stake in TransAlta and I won't be surprised if BIP is active in the MLP space having talked about it since 2016. BBU, who knows what they are looking at, but they play plenty in publicly listed things anyway (Teekay).

The point, I think, is that public market prices move faster than private ones so in a panic the opportunities show up first in the public markets and, later, in the private markets. Across the BAM family I expect they are looking for value in public equity and debt markets - and ideally value that might turn into a private/control position later (via a carve-out, bankruptcy, sale by a distressed controller, or whatever).

Exciting times. They have been preparing for this for a while and have cash and big funds waiting to go.

petec

« Reply #1448 on: March 27, 2020, 01:02:30 AM »
what's the chance BPY needs to cut its dividend?

Reasonably low, although I say that with low conviction. But I also don't care - the value of buildings is not in the short term cash flows.

Uccmal

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1449 on: March 27, 2020, 05:23:54 AM »

I'm failing on my google-fu, you have a link?

Hey Joel,

Its through my brokerage account.  I dont think there are any workarounds. 
GARP tending toward value