Author Topic: BERY - Berry Plastics Group  (Read 32669 times)

manuelbean

Re: BERY - Berry Plastics Group
« Reply #120 on: November 20, 2020, 07:23:30 AM »
Did the company release the volume growth for each of the segments for the full year?

manuelbean

« Reply #121 on: November 20, 2020, 07:25:05 AM »
Forget about it. I've found it already on the 8K

thepupil

« Reply #122 on: November 20, 2020, 10:55:42 AM »
so i was getting ready write a long ranty e-mail about things i/we're potentially missing and about this narrative of a re-rating once leverage goes down below 4x and wondering out loud if there were really prospective shareholders out there who are like "can't own it at 4.1x but love it at 3.9x" and as if on cue there's a VIC writeup today on BERY which features the below gem:

Of note, a conversation with a sell-side analyst indicated that when his firm hosted an NDR for BERY in August 2020, not a single long-only fund met with the Company, despite a full effort on the broker’s part.  Universally, the response the broker received from the long-only community was, “Reach out to me when BERY’s leverage is below 4.0x.

I continue to wonder if there are really that many funds that are so arbitrary and idiotic, or if that's just an excuse for people who don't want to say "I have no interest in a plastics company at any price"

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #123 on: November 20, 2020, 11:43:29 AM »
or if that's just an excuse for people who don't want to say "I have no interest in a plastics company at any price"

One word: plastics.

(I've probably done this before on this thread  ::)  8) ).
"Human civilization? It might be a good idea." - Not Gandhi
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
"Money is an illusion" - Not Karl Marx
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"

longlake95

« Reply #124 on: November 20, 2020, 11:55:37 AM »
ya, might be another case of the investment community/public, talking lean but eating fat. Everybody "hates" plastic, except it touches there life multiple times a day everyday - and they love the convenience. If we can get the recycling of plastics to where it should be (not floating around the oceans in huge blobs), it's not such a bad thing is it? Let's pick on plastic, but it's ok to burn down thousand of acres a day of jungle to grow palm oil for our junk food... Berry needs to continue to play the healthcare angle...

dwy000

« Reply #125 on: November 20, 2020, 12:10:24 PM »
so i was getting ready write a long ranty e-mail about things i/we're potentially missing and about this narrative of a re-rating once leverage goes down below 4x and wondering out loud if there were really prospective shareholders out there who are like "can't own it at 4.1x but love it at 3.9x" and as if on cue there's a VIC writeup today on BERY which features the below gem:

Of note, a conversation with a sell-side analyst indicated that when his firm hosted an NDR for BERY in August 2020, not a single long-only fund met with the Company, despite a full effort on the broker’s part.  Universally, the response the broker received from the long-only community was, “Reach out to me when BERY’s leverage is below 4.0x.

I continue to wonder if there are really that many funds that are so arbitrary and idiotic, or if that's just an excuse for people who don't want to say "I have no interest in a plastics company at any price"

This is the exact arbitrage that Private Equity uses to make outsized returns.  Irrational public investor restrictions.  Very frustrating.

frank87

« Reply #126 on: November 21, 2020, 08:52:49 AM »

This is the exact arbitrage that Private Equity uses to make outsized returns.  Irrational public investor restrictions.  Very frustrating.

Makes you wonder whether companies like these just make more sense being private.