Author Topic: CHTR - Charter Communications  (Read 304155 times)

vince

Re: CHTR - Charter Communications
« Reply #1160 on: January 12, 2020, 05:48:55 AM »
Well the 4th qtr is always a strong one.  Interesting comment from the CFO on last call when he said the 4th would be strong but to also note that it would be a tough comparison to 4th qtr of 2018.  So it could mean that the qtr comes in strong even when comparing to last year.  In addition a Comcast executive made it very clear on the 3rd qtr call that the 4th was coming in strong.  I have also been patiently waiting for Charter to have the ebitda growth that has been a little hard to see....I calculated that if they hadn't repriced their commercial footprint lower, commercial revenues would be climbing 10%, consistent with unit growth (rather than 10% unit and 4% revs) and that would add around 1-1.5% ebitda growth (the unit and rev growth numbers i just used jump around a bit from qtr to qtr but on an annual basis we are making 300 million ebitda less than we should be).  We also have the mobile costs and the tail end of acquisition integration expense.  When I normalize for these things (not making adjustments for pricing, leaving it at 1% even though we eventually will get more robust prices) I get high single digit ebitda growth.  And now that I think about it, we have some pretty aggressive pricing that kicks in very early in the 4th and this could be something making the quarter look especially good...we'll see.

rtvinvest

Re: CHTR - Charter Communications
« Reply #1161 on: January 14, 2020, 12:54:17 AM »
Charter bought back roughly 3 million shares in December and roughly 7 million shares in the quarter, both numbers are highs for the year and at the highest prices by far. That's an amount that probably/possibly tells us their confidence is increasing.  That doesn't necessarily mean the quarter will be sensational but I think it means they think that business fundamentals are improving.

Where are you getting these numbers from? When looking at the A/N filings it seems to me that Q3 was bigger in terms of number of shares and total $ amount (due to the large September purchase)