Author Topic: DIS - Disney  (Read 72856 times)

Castanza

Re: DIS - Disney
« Reply #230 on: March 12, 2020, 07:05:54 PM »
They announced the closures.  Postponing Mulan release, current pixar film has to be tanked...espn has no sports to show for who knows how long...cruise lines and hotels are going to be empty and moody's put them on credit watch negative.

3 new cruise ships in the pipe for 2021, 22, 23 too, that's got to be expensive. They don't break down revenue for their cruise line their 10k. It's all lumped together under Parks and Resorts which is (going from memory) 25ish% rev?

mwtorock

« Reply #231 on: March 13, 2020, 05:51:22 AM »
the princesses and the mouse will live on, probably longer than any of us. and the revenue lost in this quarter might just be captured later this year.

Castanza

« Reply #232 on: March 13, 2020, 05:58:08 AM »
Absolutely

It was more of a near term comment that will probably add to the downward pressure.

CorpRaider

• The Corpraider
« Reply #233 on: March 13, 2020, 06:05:39 AM »
I don't see how they recapture the lost revenue from cancelled cruises and shut down parks and postponed movie showings, and cancelled sporting events/seasons especially in the same year.  Also, we have a brand new CEO here.  He would be most unusual if he didn't use this opportunity to clear the decks/reset expectations, especially following Iger.  The financials were already likely to look like crap for a while as they invest/transition from a fantastic linear tv model to direct to consumer.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2020, 06:07:11 AM by CorpRaider »

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
AFL // BRK.B // CLB an incredibly stupid move // DIS // EW // GPC // MO an incredibly stupid ex-CEO // NVO // PSX // ULTA // VDE // VLGEA // WFC

Investable cash 16% + 18 months of survival $

Xerxes

« Reply #235 on: April 18, 2020, 05:24:28 AM »
Question for you guys.

I own DIS for about 5 years and have been enjoy Iger' last chapter with the stock nearing $150. Right now, I had lost about a third of the position, i usually don't have a problem in holding long term positions through thick and thin, it is just that in Disney's case, every business that they are in, there seem to have be heavily impacted by the pandemic .... and social distancing will aggravate its situation.

People point to Disney+, yes it has now 50 million subs, but that is money-losing machine on the front-end of the investment cycle. So right now, DIS is akin to a money-losing Netflix with the additional headaches of fixed cost of its theme parks + cruise ships + ESPN passing through the income statement and hitting the bottom line.

Add to it the $50 billion debt that Disney has (mostly due to 20th Cent Fox). 

Is there a bull case here for me to add if it does go down to $90 after earning.

glorysk87

« Reply #236 on: April 18, 2020, 12:01:43 PM »
Question for you guys.

I own DIS for about 5 years and have been enjoy Iger' last chapter with the stock nearing $150. Right now, I had lost about a third of the position, i usually don't have a problem in holding long term positions through thick and thin, it is just that in Disney's case, every business that they are in, there seem to have be heavily impacted by the pandemic .... and social distancing will aggravate its situation.

People point to Disney+, yes it has now 50 million subs, but that is money-losing machine on the front-end of the investment cycle. So right now, DIS is akin to a money-losing Netflix with the additional headaches of fixed cost of its theme parks + cruise ships + ESPN passing through the income statement and hitting the bottom line.

Is there a bull case here for me to add if it does go down to $90 after earning.

The only question that matters here is "what is your timeframe"?

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
« Reply #237 on: April 18, 2020, 02:18:05 PM »
Question for you guys.

I agree, my time frame is 10+ years on DIS.

I had an average cost of $100.77 & had trimmed around 25% last year at $141. 07 & then repurchased at exactly $80 the same number of shares that I'd previously sold & if it goes to $80 again I'll add more.
AFL // BRK.B // CLB an incredibly stupid move // DIS // EW // GPC // MO an incredibly stupid ex-CEO // NVO // PSX // ULTA // VDE // VLGEA // WFC

Investable cash 16% + 18 months of survival $

plato1976

« Reply #238 on: April 18, 2020, 05:34:04 PM »
If the time frame is 10 years you may not want to trade it

Question for you guys.

I had an average cost of $100.77 & had trimmed around 25% last year at $141. 07 & then repurchased at exactly $80 the same number of shares that I'd previously sold & if it goes to $80 again I'll add more.

DanielGMask

• How to Be Millionaire
« Reply #239 on: April 18, 2020, 08:22:15 PM »
Question for you guys.

If the time frame is 10 years you may not want to trade it

I agree.
You should follow me on twitter @ManSalceda