Author Topic: DVA – DaVita HealthCare Partners  (Read 215863 times)

rb

Re: DVA – DaVita HealthCare Partners
« Reply #120 on: June 06, 2017, 06:51:31 PM »
Is there a particular reason why davita would have a better patient mix the someone like ARA? The way i understand it is that patients essentially go to the nearest clinic and DaVita's centers aren't exactly "luxurious". I'm thinking that maybe they're located in more affluent areas but at DVAs size i doubt it's that.

DeepSouth

« Reply #121 on: June 08, 2017, 02:45:20 PM »
Is there a particular reason why davita would have a better patient mix the someone like ARA? The way i understand it is that patients essentially go to the nearest clinic and DaVita's centers aren't exactly "luxurious". I'm thinking that maybe they're located in more affluent areas but at DVAs size i doubt it's that.

I think ARA actually has higher % of commercial payors than DVA but still generates weaker $/treatment

walkie518

« Reply #122 on: June 13, 2017, 02:23:16 PM »
Does anyone have a feel for why Fresenius trades at such a premium to DVA? 

Putting Thiry's eccentricities and management style aside, as far as I can tell, DVA might be the better of the two major players in the US market?  Is this solely by the hand of John Oliver? 

sleepydragon

« Reply #123 on: June 14, 2017, 08:09:47 PM »
i think it's because DVA's HCP/DMA division has been performing poorly since been acquired by DVA.

K2SO

« Reply #124 on: June 15, 2017, 07:43:01 AM »
Interesting comments from Jim Chanos on rent seeking in US healthcare and dialysis in particular (yes, he's short, so take it with a grain of salt). In particular, he points to dialysis costs as a key cause of the failure of ACA exchanges.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2017-06-07/invest-spotlight-jim-chanos-makes-his-calls-video

Relevant comments start around 9:00.

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2017, 10:55:44 AM »
OT: Good interview with Chanos.
"Human civilization? It might be a good idea." - Not Gandhi
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
"Money is an illusion" - Not Karl Marx
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"

Foreign Tuffett

« Reply #126 on: June 25, 2017, 06:15:35 PM »
One issue that I don't think has been mentioned yet is that Kent Thiry is seriously exploring running for governor of Colorado. Obviously this it would bring invite even more scrutiny of DaVita, as well as mean that the company would have to find a new CEO. Regardless of his eccentricities (which I think are more calculated than they appear at first glance), Thiry's been a very good CEO. I suspect uncertainty over this is one of the factors depressing the stock price.

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/06/25/kent-thiry-davita-ceo-colorado-governor-race/

Also, DaVita recently launched "DaVita Health Solutions", a platform to provide home-based care to chronically ill patients. Given the lack of success they've had thus far, I'm a little puzzled by their continued attempts to expand beyond kidney care. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

rogermunibond

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #127 on: June 28, 2017, 09:37:59 AM »
Interesting history on how the hemodialysis space became an oligopoly

I think it dates from mid 2010s.

cubsfan

« Reply #128 on: June 28, 2017, 06:29:17 PM »
Roger - thank you for posting the Boston University study.

sleepydragon

« Reply #129 on: July 24, 2017, 07:09:05 PM »
http://www.denverpost.com/2017/07/24/davita-ceo-kent-thirty-will-not-run-colorado-governor/

DaVita Inc. CEO Kent Thiry announced Monday that he would not join Colorado’s crowded race for governor — ending months of speculation about his political ambitions.