Author Topic: FOXA - Twenty-First Century Fox Inc  (Read 27431 times)

Foreign Tuffett

Re: FOXA - Twenty-First Century Fox Inc
« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2019, 08:19:27 AM »

I agree that the company is cheap, but remain concerned about management. If anyone can explain the logic of the Credible Labs acquisition I'm all ears.

So I thought some more about this, and it's pure speculation but I'll put it out there: What if the Credible acquisition was designed to support Fox's move into sports betting? The Supreme Court has cleared the way for nationwide betting. Fox is almost certainly interested in the creditworthiness of the punters to whom the Fox Bet service is being offered. This could be an early building block as the company tries to establish the same dominance stateside that Sky enjoys in the UK.

On the other hand, it could just be a giveaway to Lachlan's Australian friends!  ;D

Good thought Nomad!  Why wouldn't Fox just say that on acquisition date?  Makes the most sense of theories I've heard.  Or maybe they hinted at it and I'm not aware...

Thank you.

I don't think it has anything to do with sports betting.

During the Q4 call an analyst asked about the acquisition's rationale. Lachlan's response was that due to the overlap between Fox's news (Fox News, Fox Business, local news) audiences and Credible's target market, Fox can funnel lots of good prospects to Credible. Credible ultimately is just a tool to compare loan offers side-by-side.

rogermunibond

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2019, 09:58:44 AM »
It's reverse mortgages for their aging demographic.

Okonomen

« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2019, 12:45:02 PM »

Okonomen

« Reply #73 on: October 18, 2019, 12:26:20 PM »
https://dataroma.com/m/stock.php?sym=FOX

Both Tweedy & Browne and Baupost are now shareholders. Maybe Baupost got in thru the spin

walkie518

« Reply #74 on: October 24, 2019, 09:14:51 AM »
down 3.5% today on Kacie McDonnell? 

That doesn't make sense... anyone have any insight here?

Spekulatius

« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2019, 09:28:25 AM »
down 3.5% today on Kacie McDonnell? 

That doesn't make sense... anyone have any insight here?

Itís not Kacieís fault, the whole media sector went to 💩
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.

Foreign Tuffett

« Reply #76 on: November 06, 2019, 04:23:09 PM »
Results looks fine to me. Below are my notes from the call:

"Fox has established itself as the #1 broadcast network." NFL ratings are high. Friday night WWE Smackdown is off to a strong start. Expect a robust political ad market next year. Sub declines in the traditional MVPD universe have accelerated in recent months, but mostly this is just one distributor (they didn't mention AT&T/DirectTV by name, but that's who they meant). Super Bowl will be streamed/aired in 4K for the first time this season. Fox Business unveiled a new brand refresh ~1 month ago with a new logo and redesigned digital properties. Beginning to integrate Credible Labs' services into Fox Business' digital properties.

BOD has authorized a $2B stock buyback. $500M of this will be completed "in the near term." "We believe we are undervalued in respect to our peers and other investment opportunities."

TV advertising market remains strong. News ad market is a little weaker than sports and entertainment markets as news competitors haven't held the line on price. Super Bowl ads are selling through well and they are confident that the price per 30 second ad will be the highest of any Super Bowl to date.

brycepeterson

« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2019, 05:30:02 PM »
Thank you.

walkie518

« Reply #78 on: November 08, 2019, 07:30:33 AM »
Doesn't FOX have the vote?  Why buy FOXA for a premium when FOX should have it?

Spekulatius

« Reply #79 on: November 08, 2019, 10:54:33 AM »
Doesn't FOX have the vote?  Why buy FOXA for a premium when FOX should have it?

FOXA is a bit more liquid, not that it should matter for any of us, since FOX is plenty liquid. The two used to trade at almost the same price, but recently FOXA has diverged and started to trade at a premium for really no good reason.
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.