Author Topic: GM - General Motors  (Read 623418 times)

ander

Re: GM - General Motors
« Reply #1700 on: May 31, 2019, 12:53:15 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/31/automaker-shares-plunge-after-trumps-surprise-mexico-tariffs-gm-shares-fall-5percent.html

DB estimates that a 25% Mexico tariff would be a $6 B EBIT hit to GM.

25% mexico tariff Aint gonna happen.

At a 5 PE all these fears are more than reflected.

Buying long-dated GM calls today.

Same view...but that's going to be an overhang until resolved. and ultimately, if we had share buybacks right now, it would be value accretive since my estimate of fair value is substantially higher...

Gregmal

« Reply #1701 on: May 31, 2019, 01:01:06 PM »
Mary Barra and the GM board have overtaken the fellows at CTO as championing the title Chief Asshole of the Underperformance Division of my portfolio. Only because she/they continue to be so diligent about it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 01:08:11 PM by Gregmal »

sleepydragon

« Reply #1702 on: June 25, 2019, 11:19:26 AM »
What’s going on with GM today?
Pricing moving up very fast

LowIQinvestor

« Reply #1703 on: June 25, 2019, 11:56:06 AM »
GM Cruise Spinoff?

WayWardCloud

« Reply #1704 on: June 25, 2019, 04:53:56 PM »
Has GM gotten us so used to disappointment that you guys freak out when it goes up by 2%?  ;D
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 04:55:34 PM by WayWardCloud »

Ahab

« Reply #1705 on: June 25, 2019, 06:29:30 PM »
My Jan 2021 "trade war" calls are feeling good right now.  ;D

Long: FNMAT, FNMAN, FMCCL, FMCKO, BAC, JPM, GOOG, JD, MO/PM
Short: PCG, TSLA
Twitter: AhabValue

jeffmori7

« Reply #1706 on: July 05, 2019, 06:48:48 AM »
Just a reminder, last day to trade the warrants. Or you will have to exercise them after today.

Gregmal

« Reply #1707 on: September 18, 2019, 09:25:32 AM »
So....Moody’s out with a note saying GM is on the verge of a downgrade to junk status...

I’m calling bullshit here. On whom? I don’t know yet. But on one end we’ve put up with some horrendous performance, because Mary Poppins has been preaching to us how well run GM is and how prepared it is for the next downturn and whatnot. So you tell me, how is it even conceivable we re even remotely close to junk here?

I’d wager Moody’s is wrong. But at the same time I think Mary deserves some blame here for it even being possible to throw out some kind of bullshit allegation like this.

Spekulatius

« Reply #1708 on: September 18, 2019, 09:46:19 AM »
So, what did Barr’s do wrong in your opinion? If she had bought back more GM shares as many here had been suggesting, GM would probably be junk rated already?

I am not sure I get Moody’s rationale either, but I don’t get where Barra got it wrong.
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.

Gregmal

« Reply #1709 on: September 18, 2019, 10:22:22 AM »
So, what did Barr’s do wrong in your opinion? If she had bought back more GM shares as many here had been suggesting, GM would probably be junk rated already?

I am not sure I get Moody’s rationale either, but I don’t get where Barra got it wrong.

Theres ultimately a responsibility for people in charge to deliver. GM has not performed on the only metric import to investors, basically since its IPO. We can debate whether Barra could have done things differently, but the bottom line is that GM has resisted investors and preached the "we're a rock fundamentally" stuff kind of as an excuse for not doing things the way many have suggested that perhaps they should. So to now, potentially not even have THAT! which doesn't matter if the stock performs(look at FCAU for a while for instance), its pretty damning.

When I go to a restaurant with a celebrated executive chef, I expect the food to be good. If it comes out terrible, I don't care what the process was, or how "we did everything the right way"...its about delivering a result and if you are going to fight your shareholders and do things your way, you damn well better deliver on what you're preaching. Which was a fortress balance sheet and long term value creation. Mary has done neither.