Author Topic: GM - General Motors  (Read 655778 times)

Xerxes

Re: GM - General Motors
« Reply #1800 on: September 21, 2020, 10:19:11 AM »
Man, I feel like a fool on my earlier comment on keeping on the long term with GM.
If Nikola is turning into GMís WeWork, at least they didnít pay much for it.

cherzeca

« Reply #1801 on: September 21, 2020, 11:21:30 AM »
Trevor out at NKLA. Time for Barra to be out too and a complete shake up at GM with some new DNA management team.

So much for due diligence. I agree heads need to roll.

I spent many years doing due diligence on deals. legal and business.  I can't think of a bigger DD screw up than this. there used to be a joke that you "should make sure that there is no moving truck in the parking lot" when you do DD.  I guess the joke is now changed to "and be sure that there isn't an electric cable coming out of the truck". this says to me that GM is way behind in EV, and let its panic cloud a fairly simple business DD job.  this is not about accounting fraud not being discovered...this is about not asking someone to turn the ignition switch on in the truck prototype.

RadMan24

« Reply #1802 on: September 21, 2020, 12:19:57 PM »
Trevor out at NKLA. Time for Barra to be out too and a complete shake up at GM with some new DNA management team.

So much for due diligence. I agree heads need to roll.

I spent many years doing due diligence on deals. legal and business.  I can't think of a bigger DD screw up than this. there used to be a joke that you "should make sure that there is no moving truck in the parking lot" when you do DD.  I guess the joke is now changed to "and be sure that there isn't an electric cable coming out of the truck". this says to me that GM is way behind in EV, and let its panic cloud a fairly simple business DD job.  this is not about accounting fraud not being discovered...this is about not asking someone to turn the ignition switch on in the truck prototype.

What's the screwup? How much money did GM throw out the door? How is GM way behind EV when they were providing the technology? The commenters on this forum have simply not done their own DD.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 12:21:31 PM by RadMan24 »

brose514

« Reply #1803 on: September 21, 2020, 04:08:40 PM »
Right on RadMan. Sometimes I feel like this is a glorified version of Twitter.

hyten1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1804 on: October 23, 2020, 01:06:27 PM »
This is pretty impressive, cruise av in San fran

https://youtu.be/sliYTyRpRB8

fareastwarriors

« Reply #1805 on: October 23, 2020, 02:32:36 PM »
Who preordered an electric Hummer?  8)

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/22/hummer-ev-assists-gm-shares-reaching-new-c.html
GM shares close at new year-to-date high following Hummer EV debut

I'm sticking with my fugly cybertruck for now. 

roark33

« Reply #1806 on: October 26, 2020, 10:49:38 AM »
I have followed GM more closely after being involved in Nikola, and wow, GM seems to make some really stupid moves.  Their partnership with Nikola should basically make them uninvestable. 

Xerxes

« Reply #1807 on: November 23, 2020, 12:35:52 PM »
I am going on a limb and say GM will continue grind higher and higher from here. I still have what I own from 2018; didnít add/sell anything during the 2020 crash. Ainít that smart beside focus was on other names.

Fact is there is capital chasing Ďelectrificationí names, from BYD, NEO and Tesla, and have no doubt that GM can benefit from that easy money in having a blended valuation straddling both old economy ICE as well as the new. If Walt Disney can get blended valuation due to Disney+ while its money maker amusement parks are shutdown, so can GM.

Gregmal

« Reply #1808 on: November 23, 2020, 01:12:02 PM »
Yeah...while Im happy the poor souls who have owned this forever are starting to see some money made, fact of the matter this is still just getting back to where it was in 2017 and 2018. As others have pointed out, the decision making here is poor. If your investment case is easy money coming into the EV sector, all around, I think you have better options than GM. Whats the upside? Maybe you hang around for another $10-20 a share? LOL Has anyone seen what kind of "easy money" is being made in other names? Why hang around for 20-30% in GM? Is GM a better company? IDK, GM is flirting with junk status, other companies have no debt or net cash. Network effect? Maybe, but GM is owned by the unions. Profitability? There's plenty of other profitable companies in the EV ecosystem. Mary Barra? Well, you guys can have her. One of the more valuable lessons Ive learned over the years is that if your investment thesis is "speculative", well then buy a company that will reward you for speculating. BYD has crushed it over the same period GM has floundered. Wont even mention Tesla. NIO and Li have done well. You've got a handful of the SPAC bunch ranging from total dogshit, to somewhat interesting. Unless of course you insist of earning your "value investor badge" here. Where 20% in GM >>>>> 50-100%+ in another ticker.....

RadMan24

« Reply #1809 on: November 23, 2020, 11:22:39 PM »
Yeah...while Im happy the poor souls who have owned this forever are starting to see some money made, fact of the matter this is still just getting back to where it was in 2017 and 2018. As others have pointed out, the decision making here is poor. If your investment case is easy money coming into the EV sector, all around, I think you have better options than GM. Whats the upside? Maybe you hang around for another $10-20 a share? LOL Has anyone seen what kind of "easy money" is being made in other names? Why hang around for 20-30% in GM? Is GM a better company? IDK, GM is flirting with junk status, other companies have no debt or net cash. Network effect? Maybe, but GM is owned by the unions. Profitability? There's plenty of other profitable companies in the EV ecosystem. Mary Barra? Well, you guys can have her. One of the more valuable lessons Ive learned over the years is that if your investment thesis is "speculative", well then buy a company that will reward you for speculating. BYD has crushed it over the same period GM has floundered. Wont even mention Tesla. NIO and Li have done well. You've got a handful of the SPAC bunch ranging from total dogshit, to somewhat interesting. Unless of course you insist of earning your "value investor badge" here. Where 20% in GM >>>>> 50-100%+ in another ticker.....

Do you always troll the GM board? You're saying the same thing over and over. I own both GM and BYD and more than doubled GM and more than quintupled BYD. If you truly think Barra has not done a good job, you're a fool, especially after saying "there's plenty of other profitable companies in the EV spectrum." I'll name two: Tesla and BYD. I'll let you name the third. Good luck.

p.s. When you were speculating BRK was selling out of GM, the stock is up over 100% since then. Where's your badge?