Author Topic: GM - General Motors  (Read 674683 times)

Spekulatius

Re: GM - General Motors
« Reply #1790 on: September 14, 2020, 05:16:19 PM »
GM spokesman Jim Cain declined to elaborate on the type of diligence the automaker conducted other than to say it was a “thorough review of business, legal and technical matters.”

Translation : many lawyers and probably no engineers have done due diligence. I am constantly surprised (I am just a lowly engineering grunt, mind you) how little due diligence is done on a technical level even for large acquisitions.
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.

fareastwarriors

« Reply #1791 on: September 18, 2020, 04:28:01 PM »
The Incredible Shrinking GM: Mary Barra Bets That Smaller Is Better

The CEO streamlined a company that for decades reigned as the world’s largest auto maker. Now, she is readying for the next big bet: electric cars.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-incredible-shrinking-gm-mary-barra-finds-success-by-getting-smaller-11600438421?mod=hp_lead_pos7

arcube

« Reply #1792 on: September 18, 2020, 05:04:06 PM »
Thanks for sharing.

Another puff piece to save her skin. New strategy, new shrinking IBMsque style. Deer and the headlight issue. Now they want to sell battery tech to other companies.

Nothing is clear about their strategy. Nothing. She needs to be canned after the NKLA fiasco. Can’t believe she is running this company.

The Incredible Shrinking GM: Mary Barra Bets That Smaller Is Better

The CEO streamlined a company that for decades reigned as the world’s largest auto maker. Now, she is readying for the next big bet: electric cars.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-incredible-shrinking-gm-mary-barra-finds-success-by-getting-smaller-11600438421?mod=hp_lead_pos7

Gregmal

« Reply #1793 on: September 18, 2020, 05:08:03 PM »
Its funny because in respect to both your comment, and what Spek stated earlier, the pitch for Barra was that she was a GM lifer. A true engineer, who understood the company. Rather than a WS suit with an MBA...

Foreign Tuffett

« Reply #1794 on: September 19, 2020, 10:48:24 AM »
Agree that "puff piece" is a great description of the WSJ article.
Former Teldar Paper Vice President

arcube

« Reply #1795 on: September 20, 2020, 09:22:22 PM »
Trevor out at NKLA. Time for Barra to be out too and a complete shake up at GM with some new DNA management team.

fareastwarriors

« Reply #1796 on: September 21, 2020, 12:26:15 AM »

Ex-GM Executive Moonlights as Matchmaker in Deal With Startup Nikola

Partnership came amid push to speed electrification goals

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-09-16/ex-gm-exec-moonlights-as-matchmaker-in-deal-with-startup-nikola?srnd=premium

Spekulatius

« Reply #1797 on: September 21, 2020, 04:03:41 AM »
Trevor out at NKLA. Time for Barra to be out too and a complete shake up at GM with some new DNA management team.

So much for due diligence. I agree heads need to roll.
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.

Xerxes

« Reply #1798 on: September 21, 2020, 10:19:11 AM »
Man, I feel like a fool on my earlier comment on keeping on the long term with GM.
If Nikola is turning into GM’s WeWork, at least they didn’t pay much for it.

cherzeca

« Reply #1799 on: September 21, 2020, 11:21:30 AM »

So much for due diligence. I agree heads need to roll.

I spent many years doing due diligence on deals. legal and business.  I can't think of a bigger DD screw up than this. there used to be a joke that you "should make sure that there is no moving truck in the parking lot" when you do DD.  I guess the joke is now changed to "and be sure that there isn't an electric cable coming out of the truck". this says to me that GM is way behind in EV, and let its panic cloud a fairly simple business DD job.  this is not about accounting fraud not being discovered...this is about not asking someone to turn the ignition switch on in the truck prototype.