Author Topic: GOOGL - Google  (Read 568706 times)

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • libertyrpf.com
    • http://www.libertyrpf.com
Re: GOOGL - Google
« Reply #2050 on: July 27, 2020, 06:58:41 AM »
Google keeping almost all its 200,000 employees working from home "at least" until July 2021:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/google-to-keep-employees-home-until-summer-2021-amid-coronavirus-pandemic-11595854201

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • libertyrpf.com
    • http://www.libertyrpf.com
« Reply #2051 on: July 30, 2020, 07:09:21 PM »

villainx

« Reply #2052 on: July 30, 2020, 08:51:21 PM »
First revenue decline ever for the company

That's interesting.

D33pV4lue

« Reply #2053 on: July 31, 2020, 06:31:10 AM »
Interesting to actually see how powerful search revenue is to operating margin. I knew the incremental revenue was amazing. But without ever seeing a down quarter you don't get to see the opposite affect. They are such a big company and search drives income. Wonder if this will force them to be more nimble cut back on certain costs to lower fixed cost nature of search. Already during Q2 they discontinued alot of the smaller projects that most likely didn't have a chance of becoming anything bigger. Positve commentary that search at the end of the quarter was flat YoY vs down. Looks like this could be the bottom.

Spekulatius

« Reply #2054 on: July 31, 2020, 01:28:40 PM »
Interesting to actually see how powerful search revenue is to operating margin. I knew the incremental revenue was amazing. But without ever seeing a down quarter you don't get to see the opposite affect. They are such a big company and search drives income. Wonder if this will force them to be more nimble cut back on certain costs to lower fixed cost nature of search. Already during Q2 they discontinued alot of the smaller projects that most likely didn't have a chance of becoming anything bigger. Positve commentary that search at the end of the quarter was flat YoY vs down. Looks like this could be the bottom.

Google has become very fat. Just look at their employee count YOY. Their revenue/ employee hasn’t looked great for quite some time. Some people call it investment, but considering how much employees count still increase within their very mature search business, I think it is mostly bloat.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 01:58:13 PM by Spekulatius »
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.

Broeb22

« Reply #2055 on: July 31, 2020, 01:53:16 PM »

Google has become very fat. Just look at their employee count YOY. Their revenue/ employee hasnít looked great for quite some time. Some people calling investment, but considering how much employees count still increase within their very mature search business, I think it is mostly bloat.

The greatest business model in the world doesn't need to grow employees that much, which is just one reason that dual share classes that consolidate power may be good in the short-term but not so good when a business is clearly being undermanaged. I hesitate to say mismanaged in this case because Google's business is so good, but there is no doubt they could be better managed in a variety of ways.

Gregmal

« Reply #2056 on: August 03, 2020, 07:32:37 AM »
Meanwhile, Google uses MSFT's deal shadow to acquire a stake in ADT. Interesting move. Not really material though.

glorysk87

« Reply #2057 on: August 03, 2020, 08:08:53 PM »
In this thread: people who don't understand that Google purposely bloats their cost structure and perennially under-earns in an effort to reduce antitrust scrutiny

D33pV4lue

« Reply #2058 on: August 04, 2020, 07:45:54 AM »

Google has become very fat. Just look at their employee count YOY. Their revenue/ employee hasnít looked great for quite some time. Some people call it investment, but considering how much employees count still increase within their very mature search business, I think it is mostly bloat.

Agree with glorsky that this could be related to anti-trust scrutiny. Also, the increase in headcount isn't related to google search. They built out a huge sales force for GCP, product managers and engineers. I don't know how revenue/employee is a relative metric almost as pointless as price to sales. Doesn't tell you anything about what those employees are doing, future prospects or profitablility. On another note, they issued 10B in debt as far out as 2060 at phenominal rates. 5.75B are sustainability bonds.

Broeb22

« Reply #2059 on: August 04, 2020, 09:25:47 AM »
In this thread: people who don't understand that Google purposely bloats their cost structure and perennially under-earns in an effort to reduce antitrust scrutiny

That's awful presumptuous of you. How is that strategy working out for them?