Author Topic: GOOGL - Google  (Read 525274 times)

Spekulatius

Re: GOOGL - Google
« Reply #1980 on: March 20, 2019, 04:23:55 AM »

I don't really get why people are so worried about the latency. The Game/Agent would  "know" the exact latency for each player throughout the game and it is the game that controls the output to each player.  So, if there's a game for 100 it would be so easy to adjust output according to latencies, and it could fluctuate. Like, in a multi-player if in a specific conflict 4 players are involved, simply adjust the output to balance latencies.  The outcome would be far better than what we got now, the only guys who would care are those sitting on 15k worth of specialized gear and broadband (and all those hardware companies).  Of course, all this GPU/AI hardware power can be used for other means as well.

If you adjust the game to match the player with a lowest latency, the game becomes unplayable. The problem is not just  latency, it is changes in latency. Players can adjust to let’s say 150msec of latency, but if it goes from 50msec to 300msec a second later than back to 50msec, you are screwed and I don’t think there is a way to adjust for it.

Been there. Done it.
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #1981 on: March 20, 2019, 04:47:15 AM »
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

meiroy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1982 on: March 20, 2019, 05:25:30 AM »

I don't really get why people are so worried about the latency. The Game/Agent would  "know" the exact latency for each player throughout the game and it is the game that controls the output to each player.  So, if there's a game for 100 it would be so easy to adjust output according to latencies, and it could fluctuate. Like, in a multi-player if in a specific conflict 4 players are involved, simply adjust the output to balance latencies.  The outcome would be far better than what we got now, the only guys who would care are those sitting on 15k worth of specialized gear and broadband (and all those hardware companies).  Of course, all this GPU/AI hardware power can be used for other means as well.

If you adjust the game to match the player with a lowest latency, the game becomes unplayable. The problem is not just  latency, it is changes in latency. Players can adjust to let’s say 150msec of latency, but if it goes from 50msec to 300msec a second later than back to 50msec, you are screwed and I don’t think there is a way to adjust for it.

Been there. Done it.

Automated latency balancing and all that is an old concept, Google can take it to the next level. It's definitely not something I would worry about as far as monetization goes, most people will be just fine with it.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #1983 on: March 20, 2019, 06:58:10 AM »
Automated latency balancing and all that is an old concept, Google can take it to the next level. It's definitely not something I would worry about as far as monetization goes, most people will be just fine with it.

Google will put the hardware running this on a distributed CDN that will probably be embedded at the ISPs or very close. That traffic won't be routed all over the internet, it'll be pretty close to the player (both geographically and in number of hops), I'd expect.
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #1984 on: April 10, 2019, 06:48:07 AM »

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #1986 on: April 15, 2019, 07:32:31 AM »
Monetizing maps:
https://adage.com/article/digital/google-flips-switch-its-next-big-money-maker-maps/2163976

I just deleted the google maps app from my iPhone.  I need to find out if Waze is saving all of my location data as well.  I might be using Apple maps exclusively soon.

Read this entire article.  It is scary.  Notice the line  "Investigators who spoke with The New York Times said they had not sent geofence warrants to companies other than Google, and Apple said it did not have the ability to perform those searches."

Tracking Phones, Google Is a Dragnet for the Police
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/04/13/us/google-location-tracking-police.html

"Mr. Molina, 24, said he was shocked when the police told him they suspected him of murder, and he was surprised at their ability to arrest him based largely on data.

“I just kept thinking, You’re innocent, so you’re going to get out,” he said, but he added that he worried that it could take months or years to be exonerated. “I was scared,” he said.
"
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 07:36:30 AM by rkbabang »

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF

obtuse_investor

« Reply #1988 on: April 23, 2019, 02:23:11 PM »
https://medium.com/waymo/making-waymos-in-motor-city-76c2af165165

Sounds like Waymo is going to be a capital intensive vertically integrated business? From auto parts to actual car manufacturing to über like ride sharing?
Value Investor who manages his personal portfolio with a 25-45 year time horizon | @obtuse_investor

Sharad

• Blogging About Money
« Reply #1989 on: April 23, 2019, 03:03:03 PM »
Monetizing maps:
https://adage.com/article/digital/google-flips-switch-its-next-big-money-maker-maps/2163976

I just deleted the google maps app from my iPhone.  I need to find out if Waze is saving all of my location data as well.  I might be using Apple maps exclusively soon.

Read this entire article.  It is scary.  Notice the line  "Investigators who spoke with The New York Times said they had not sent geofence warrants to companies other than Google, and Apple said it did not have the ability to perform those searches."

Tracking Phones, Google Is a Dragnet for the Police
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/04/13/us/google-location-tracking-police.html

"Mr. Molina, 24, said he was shocked when the police told him they suspected him of murder, and he was surprised at their ability to arrest him based largely on data.

“I just kept thinking, You’re innocent, so you’re going to get out,” he said, but he added that he worried that it could take months or years to be exonerated. “I was scared,” he said.
"

Given Google owns Waze, wouldn't the same situation apply?
"If we are not able to ask skeptical questions, to interrogate those who tell us that something is true, to be skeptical of those in authority, then we are up for grabs for the next charlatan - political or religious - who comes ambling along."
- Carl Sagan