Author Topic: GOOGL - Google  (Read 589868 times)

Gregmal

Re: GOOGL - Google
« Reply #2070 on: October 29, 2020, 02:22:42 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/29/alphabet-googl-earnings-q3-2020.html

Blowout. Still have a nice core position, but regret having sold some of this in the beginning of the year on "valuation" concerns. Yet another reminder, just like with COST and SAM, that buying AND selling quality companies with the prime focus being "valuation", is stupid.

villainx

« Reply #2071 on: October 29, 2020, 06:25:12 PM »
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/29/alphabet-googl-earnings-q3-2020.html

Blowout. Still have a nice core position, but regret having sold some of this in the beginning of the year on "valuation" concerns. Yet another reminder, just like with COST and SAM, that buying AND selling quality companies with the prime focus being "valuation", is stupid.

I wonder how much of it is due to not properly factoring Covid, whether sold before Covid, or not realizing tailwind due to Covid.  I'm sure we all have plenty of examples of reminders.  But what would have been reasonable sells under "normal" times just got upended.  My own example was selling some LULU for valuation reasons just to see it ... become a reminder.

Gregmal

« Reply #2072 on: October 29, 2020, 06:43:31 PM »
Yea I sold a bunch of stuff(or trimmed in most cases) in the November-February lead up solely on valuation concerns as well as concerns about the potential Presidential nominee for the Democrats as for a while it seemed very likely to be a Sanders/Harris/Warren type rather than Biden. Nothing really related to COVID. I guess the question here is, how sustainable are the recent premiums given to some of these names...or do they give any of that back. In the early stages of COVID the issue everyone brought up with GOOG was "OMG ad spend will fall off a cliff"...I personally think the antitrust issues are a bigger thing for GOOG, although those may end up being a net positive and maybe even a catalyst.

Xerxes

« Reply #2073 on: October 29, 2020, 06:47:45 PM »
The former CEO of IBM from the 90s had an interview where he said something interesting about anti trust and Google. It is not so much the breakup or regulatory framework etc that concerns him about Google, it is the lack of innovation because everything has to be viewed by lawyers and constant distraction that concerns him going forward.

villainx

« Reply #2074 on: October 29, 2020, 07:18:55 PM »
The former CEO of IBM from the 90s had an interview where he said something interesting about anti trust and Google. It is not so much the breakup or regulatory framework etc that concerns him about Google, it is the lack of innovation because everything has to be viewed by lawyers and constant distraction that concerns him going forward.

Good interview?  And where?  I'm of the mind that stuff like threat of breakup/regulation is more of an overhang, and that's being careful is stifling things a bit, but post any type of action, it'll be a nice tailwind.  With outer limits delineated, easier to avoid or to touch but not overreach. That's also a fairly popular opinion though, right?

Xerxes

« Reply #2075 on: October 29, 2020, 08:30:19 PM »

D33pV4lue

« Reply #2076 on: November 02, 2020, 09:14:35 AM »
Really good quarter on all fronts. Interesting to note that Cloud ticked up in YoY growth. On the call, management said they will break this out as its own reporting segment so we should have some more visibility moving forward. GCP was growing substantially above that of the overall growth in cloud, which is interesting. Microsoft doesn't break out cloud revenue just growth but compared to Amazon at 9/30/19 AWS revenue was 3.8x that of Google Cloud at 9/30/20 it was 3.4x and Google earned 55% (of the revenue increase) of the dollars AWS did during the quarter. It's a small victory but a victory nonetheless. Google and to a lesser extent MSFT are the underdogs in this fight. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.