Author Topic: IBKR - Interactive Brokers  (Read 172769 times)

nkp007

Re: IBKR - Interactive Brokers
« Reply #430 on: February 01, 2018, 02:26:50 PM »
Any concern that a crypto crash (like down 50%+ in one day or so) could cause them to lose money given the current margin requirements for Bitcoin futures?

atbed

« Reply #431 on: February 01, 2018, 03:20:27 PM »
https://ibkr.info/article/3049

FYI, bitcoin margin requirements

Jerry Capital

« Reply #433 on: June 06, 2018, 10:51:07 AM »
I enjoyed this

"Interactive Brokers - Thomas Peterffy's Speech on Successful Investing at The Trading Show Chicago 2018 Conference"

https://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/index.php?f=5599&vid=18003

"In my view success in business is all about management and deployment of the appropriate technology. The field in which the business operates does not matter so much if you make it broad enough.

But right now I would invest in businesses that could benefit from putting their operations on a technologically strong platform, such as health care, home building, agriculture, personal care or even money management, where with the use of big data many functions will be standardized and automated and with that much greater scale, savings and efficiencies will be achieved. As a result, your company becomes one of the few to survive and prosper in the space.

You want to identify entrepreneurial companies that have substantial insider ownership, where management has a long term perspective, interest and commitment. They don't just want to drive the stock price up before they cash out their options and leave. They also aren't likely to be looking for a bigger pay package at another company. They personally identify with and are invested in the goals, continuing growth and success of the firm. They should have longevity at the firm and expertise in the business AND in building the necessary technology.

You also recognize that for the last several thousand years it is the application of new technological innovations that have been driving our economic advancement and THAT isn't going to change. So you want to make sure that you invest in companies at the forefront of applying all the new technologies that can be utilized in the business."
Follow me on Twitter @JerryCap

chrispy

« Reply #434 on: September 10, 2018, 07:01:55 PM »
Is the major decline this year primarily due to margin requirement concerns? I am not too familiar with the finer details of the company and simply noticed the large drop

Spekulatius

« Reply #435 on: September 11, 2018, 04:14:44 AM »
Is the major decline this year primarily due to margin requirement concerns? I am not too familiar with the finer details of the company and simply noticed the large drop

Stock was probably overextended after a significant rise and there is a trend for brokerages to reduce or even eliminate fees (Fidelity, JPM) increasing the competition for IBKR.

FWIW, rest in piece, IBRK iPad app. Your clean GUI will be sorely missed.
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.

KCLarkin

« Reply #436 on: September 11, 2018, 07:37:40 AM »

Stock was probably overextended after a significant rise and there is a trend for brokerages to reduce or even eliminate fees (Fidelity, JPM) increasing the competition for IBKR.

I agree that it was way overextended. Volatility picked up a bit earlier in the year. Things have calmed down and price has drifted lower. However, all the other growth metrics have inflected higher.

So the core business has accelerated and much of the overvaluation has burned off.

chrispy

« Reply #437 on: September 11, 2018, 08:24:10 AM »
IBKR's competitive advantage is low commissions but also the low margin rates and access to markets around the world. They still have the upper hand in #2,3 that say, Fidelity, doesn't focus on, right?

Clearly I am just beginning to look into this...

benhacker

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #438 on: September 11, 2018, 08:36:49 AM »
I think IB has several advantages.  I think if you read through this and the other(?) IB thread on this forum, you will get great context (both pro-con) on IB.

As for this years price performance... I would guess a combo of:
1) High valuation (big run up last year)
2) Slowing growth relative to comp/equity market (in AUM)
3) Bad performance of foreign currencies / global businesses in terms of stock price performance for the year (which probably affects IB's shares)

Ben
Ben Hacker
Beaverton, Oregon - USA

muscleman

« Reply #439 on: September 12, 2018, 05:27:28 AM »
IBKR's competitive advantage is low commissions but also the low margin rates and access to markets around the world. They still have the upper hand in #2,3 that say, Fidelity, doesn't focus on, right?

Clearly I am just beginning to look into this...

Well.... After I repeatedly place the same order in IB, Fido, TD at almost the same time over the past two years, I found that almost always IB give me the worst fill. Fido and TD were similar. I also don't understand why you guys think IB has the lowest commission. Maybe true for small amount of high priced stocks, but Fido has $4.95 flat fee. If you buy 30000 shares of a $2 stock, IB is way more expensive in commission, and you usually get a worse fill on top of that.

I am muslceman. I have more muscle than brain!