Author Topic: KHC - Kraft Heinz Co.  (Read 86914 times)

petec

Re: KHC - Kraft Heinz Co.
« Reply #300 on: February 13, 2020, 11:29:03 AM »
Well, the first thing that occurs to me is why the f are they paying a cash dividend?

Agreed. They should be de-levering at speed.
FFH MSFT BRK BAM SSW LNG IHG TFG BEG CGT DC/A

Kaegi2011

« Reply #301 on: February 13, 2020, 11:48:57 AM »
Well, the first thing that occurs to me is why the f are they paying a cash dividend?

Because the CFO was still in high school when the financial crisis happened?   :o

LC

« Reply #302 on: February 13, 2020, 11:50:00 AM »

Agreed. They should be de-levering at speed.
Uncle warren wants as much cash out as he can get as soon as he can get it. And if the company goes under, buy the debt at firesale prices, and end up exactly where he started but with less money on the table? Just guessing.
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
brk.b | irm | mo | nlsn | pm | t | v

PhatKing

« Reply #303 on: February 14, 2020, 08:01:31 AM »
The reason all 3G investments (BUD, QSR, KHC) pay dividends is because they raise funds from outside investors, who need the dividends. Additionally KHC has a new CFO who is quite sharp with the pencil (the previous young CFO has left the company). While the dividend is not 100% safe, it is unlikely that they will do so until they exhaust other financial options. For example, they decided not to preserve "Investment grade" status on their debt, allowing them to keep debt levels high for an extended period. Fitch did cut them today to below IG. But they are still quite profitable, and do generate cash. If you listen to the Conf call, it appears that they have a reasonable plan to right the ship. A lot of the decline since yesterday was exacerbated because of the delay in their "Investor day" from March to May. The reason ostensibly is because they have a new Head of USA, who started Feb 3rd, and, they want to get his input into the 3 year plan that will be presented on Investor day. It seems a reasonable thing to do, because he will own the plan, and US is more than 70% of KHC business. But management, rightly, has been put into the "show me" cage by Wall Street, and so there is skepticism all around. There is blood on the street, and in that spirit I bought some yesterday, and may buy more today.

CorpRaider

• The Corpraider
« Reply #304 on: February 14, 2020, 11:15:06 AM »
I thought it was "their money."  As long as sharpening the pencil doesn't include fire sales of assets to reduce leverage while paying a dividend.

If they cut the dividend to zero and were like this is stupid, we are going to pay down debt or invest in fixing Maxwell house and we can buyback stock opportunistically or do special dividends if an when we get the leverage under control, I would probably get real interested.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:18:40 AM by CorpRaider »

Kaegi2011

« Reply #305 on: February 18, 2020, 12:00:52 PM »
Looks like I spoke too soon...  Fitch and S&P put KHC into HY territory. 

I get that there may be a silver lining here in terms of new CEO, etc. but I continue to believe that the business will be challenged, and now with their rating I think they're going to have a bear of a time getting funding from the market.  HY investors will want protection (collateral, restrictions, etc.), and the current stack offers none right now.  They've also pissed off the rating agencies by continuing the dividend policy (cannot be a coincidence that the downgrades happened the day after the earnings release, and I'm sure the company knew the downgrades were coming in advance), and that'll be a tough one to come back from if they could ever do it. 

Viking

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #306 on: February 18, 2020, 01:07:45 PM »
Investors are starting to get a glimpse into the ugly side of free money... way too much debt on lots of corporate balance sheets. Great in the early days (when overpaying for aquisitions or buying back massive amounts of stock). Definitely gives a Jolt Cola to earnings per share for a couple of years. Brutal when business results turn south (and get progressively worse due to structural issues). And what happens when we actually have a recession? I think i understand why many are calling the bottom rung of investment grade debt a bubble. Buffett completely missed this and he has a pretty good track record :-)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 01:19:29 PM by Viking »