Author Topic: LILA - Liberty Global Latin America tracker  (Read 133944 times)

Munger_Disciple

• Lifetime Member
Re: LILA - Liberty Global Latin America tracker
« Reply #390 on: October 10, 2019, 10:15:30 AM »
I would be careful about Malone swooping in as this could very well result in more shareholder fleecing.

This always has been a concern with Malone. He is always for himself; minority shareholders need to be careful that his interests are not against theirs. The trouble is that sometimes it is hard to tell which side he is on. I wish he were more like Buffett.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2019, 10:18:38 AM by Munger_Disciple »

netnet

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #391 on: March 17, 2020, 01:37:27 PM »
LILA announced a share repurchase plan today (March 17th).

alwaysinvert

• Lifetime Member
    • värdeinvesteraren
« Reply #392 on: July 31, 2020, 02:33:58 PM »
I guess nobody will care at all but I think LILA is interesting here.

- Wednesday after close they bought Telefonica Costa Rica for $500m (the deal Tigo backed out of at a somewhat higher price). This also explains why they have been timid with buybacks.
- Yesterday before US market open Tigo reported decent numbers, issued some cautiously optimistic statements and the stock ran +5-7%

These two things together implies that Q2 and beyond has a good chance of being pretty good for LILA. Yet LILA opened DOWN yesterday (has traded up somewhat since but is still essentially flat since the big drawdown).

Additionally:

- America Movil also reported strong Latam numbers under the circumstances
- VTR issued notes a month ago which lowered their cost of capital and extended their maturities: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200702005104/en/VTR-Completes-Issuance-1.15-Bn-New-Notes
- Likewise Tigo's Luxembourg listed bonds are now priced the same as pre-covid.

What exactly is the rational reason why LILA has not had any discernible bounceback in the equity at this point? Maybe they will report a giant stinker and have a horrible rest of 2020, but if so how much sense does it make to do a completely optional $500m acquisition when you are already more levered than all your peers? I interpret it as a huge signal that management thinks all will be well and they are exiting cash preservation mode. The market is yawning and maybe management has earned that response, but I suspect there is informational value there.

ratiman

« Reply #393 on: August 01, 2020, 09:17:02 AM »
It's funny how this was going to take over the world a few years and now it's crickets. Does anyone have an idea what the valuation looks like after the AT&T and Costa Rica deals? I have something like $1450 ebitda on the current business, $300 for AT&T, and $75 for Costa Rica. Conservatively that's $1825 with $9B debt. At 6x the valuation on 190M shares would be $10.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 11:17:25 AM by ratiman »