Author Topic: JEF - Jefferies Group  (Read 602002 times)

Grenville

• Lifetime Member
Re: JEF - Jefferies Group
« Reply #560 on: April 16, 2013, 03:39:51 PM »
I hear that the salt lake office is being "restructured" unfortunately.  Has Handler said much about how he's going to incorporate Leucadia and Jefferies?  How long will other long-timers (Joe and Tom Mara) be around?

I am very curious! What do you mean by "restructured"? I assumed that Handler would try to keep most of the legacy LUK folks in their roles given LUK historical track record.

BRK IN MKE

« Reply #561 on: April 24, 2013, 06:40:17 AM »
Does anyone know when the LUK shareholder letter is going to be released? Usually it comes out around this time in April.

racemize

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #562 on: April 24, 2013, 06:41:12 AM »
Does anyone know when the LUK shareholder letter is going to be released? Usually it comes out around this time in April.

I've also been waiting for it--I was hoping for this weekend.  (Actually, I was hoping for the past two weekends, but it seems like it has to happen this one?)

Grenville

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #563 on: April 24, 2013, 07:17:21 AM »
I'm not sure when it will come out either. It might be delayed given the fact that the annual meeting isn't till July when it's normally held in May.

Grenville

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #564 on: April 24, 2013, 07:25:31 AM »
Short article about Indian firms listing outside India, commentary about Jefferies in India, and commentary from a Jefferies MD in India who also runs Investment Banking there.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-04-22/u-s-lures-firms-with-ipos-as-home-demand-drops-corporate-india.html?cmpid=yhoo

Grenville

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #565 on: April 25, 2013, 01:01:26 PM »
JEFFERIES EXPANDS EQUITIES BUSINESS THROUGH AN ALLIANCE WITH ASIA PLUS SECURITIES IN THAILAND
http://www.jefferies.com/News/PressReleases/201/309

NEW YORK, LONDON, HONG KONG and BANGKOK, April 25, 2013 – Jefferies today announced that it is entering into an alliance with Asia Plus Securities Public Company Limited (“Asia Plus”).  Under the agreement, Asia Plus will provide equity research on companies in Thailand, which Jefferies will distribute on a co-branded basis to the firm’s global base of institutional clients.  The alliance, in which Asia Plus will also provide local equity broking services to Jefferies clients, is expected to begin operating before the end of the year.

txlaw

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #566 on: April 25, 2013, 01:15:57 PM »
JEFFERIES EXPANDS EQUITIES BUSINESS THROUGH AN ALLIANCE WITH ASIA PLUS SECURITIES IN THAILAND
http://www.jefferies.com/News/PressReleases/201/309

NEW YORK, LONDON, HONG KONG and BANGKOK, April 25, 2013 – Jefferies today announced that it is entering into an alliance with Asia Plus Securities Public Company Limited (“Asia Plus”).  Under the agreement, Asia Plus will provide equity research on companies in Thailand, which Jefferies will distribute on a co-branded basis to the firm’s global base of institutional clients.  The alliance, in which Asia Plus will also provide local equity broking services to Jefferies clients, is expected to begin operating before the end of the year.

Very, very interesting. 

Is this a new strategy for JEF -- to go into emerging economy capital markets that the bulge bracket firms aren't focusing on?  Does anyone know what the i-banking market looks like in Thailand?

Grenville

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #567 on: April 29, 2013, 10:12:15 PM »
Update on the board of directors at LUK. Ian Cumming is retiring from the board. I assumed he would stay on as a director. Only two directors remain from LUK's former board: Joseph Steinberg & Jeffrey Keil.

Here's the filing:
http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/96223/000090951813000116/mm04-2613_8k.htm
On April 25, 2013, the Board of Directors of Leucadia National Corporation (the “Company”) nominated for election as directors of the Company at its 2013 annual meeting of shareholders, two new nominees, Robert P. Beyer and Stuart H. Reese, along with the following seven current directors, W. Patrick Campbell, Brian P. Friedman, Richard B. Handler, Robert E. Joyal, Jeffrey C. Keil, Michael T. O’Kane and Joseph S. Steinberg.  Mr. Beyer, Chairman of Chaparal Investments, LLC, a private investment firm and holding company, is currently a director of The Allstate Corporation and The Kroger Co.  Mr. Beyer previously had been Chief Executive Officer and a member of the board of directors of The TCW Group, Inc. (Trust Company of the West), a global investment management firm.   Mr. Reese is the former President and Chief Executive Officer of Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company and was a member of the Board of Directors of the Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.

In addition, each of the following current members of the Company’s Board of Directors advised the Company that he has decided not to stand for re-election as a director:  Ian M. Cumming, Richard G. Dooley, Paul M. Dougan, Alan J. Hirschfield, James E. Jordan, Jesse Clyde Nichols III and Michael Sorkin (collectively, the “Retiring Directors”).  Each of the Retiring Directors will complete his term and retire following election of directors at the Company’s 2013 annual meeting, which will be held on July 25, 2013.

scorpioncapital

• Lifetime Member
    • scorpion capital
« Reply #568 on: April 30, 2013, 08:05:22 AM »
It's odd he's retiring as director as the previous release said he would stay on. It really seems like a major change in control and a new future. I'm not even sure there will be a letter this year, hope there is to get a sense of the future.

fareastwarriors

« Reply #569 on: April 30, 2013, 08:20:52 AM »
I was really hoping the old guard stay on to keep Handler in check and mentor him some more. I knew JEF was relatively well managed but still...