Author Topic: JEF - Jefferies Group  (Read 603826 times)

benhacker

• Lifetime Member
Re: JEF - Jefferies Group
« Reply #920 on: November 05, 2014, 10:04:25 AM »
Donít Blame The Messenger, Jefferies

http://blogs.reuters.com/breakingviews/2014/11/03/dont-blame-the-messenger-jefferies/

Such noteworthy and information filled reporting.  Compare Jefferies to Lehman brothers, and Handler to Fuld.  Make no points whatsoever, but imply that Jefferies should just lay back and take it. 

This article, just after the Sage Kelley news made the headline piece in Andrew Ross Sorkin's Dealbook.  Lol...

Honestly, I'm heartened that JEF's competitors are threatened enough by their existence that they feel the need to pay for this negative PR.

Ben
Ben Hacker
Beaverton, Oregon - USA

saltybit

« Reply #921 on: November 06, 2014, 12:39:56 AM »
Will this affect their ability to retain and acquire new clients?

NeverLoseMoney

« Reply #922 on: November 08, 2014, 11:03:45 AM »
Barron's is more positive: 'A Mini-Berkshire at a Bargain Price': http://online.barrons.com/articles/a-mini-berkshire-at-a-bargain-price-1415433072

no_free_lunch

« Reply #923 on: November 09, 2014, 05:44:30 AM »
I don't have a subscription to Barron's.  Can you give a summary?

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #924 on: November 09, 2014, 05:55:08 AM »
Ironically, no_free_lunch, most dow jones articles are available without a subscription simply by searching for the article title on google news:

https://www.google.com/search?q=a+mini+berkshire+at+a+bargain+price&client=firefox-a&hs=z69&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ei=sHFfVJn7MIOaigLFjYH4AQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAw&biw=1364&bih=725

I don't have a subscription to Barron's.  Can you give a summary?

no_free_lunch

« Reply #925 on: November 09, 2014, 05:57:04 AM »
Thanks!

greenwave

« Reply #926 on: November 14, 2014, 07:54:39 PM »
Thanks!

-------------
Allan Meachun  the 400 % man    Allan Mecham - Arlington Value Capital 

Added just under 700,000 shares of LUK in 3 rd qtr 2014

greenwave

WhoIsWarren

« Reply #927 on: November 25, 2014, 07:05:04 AM »
Phil Falcone resigns as Chairman / CEO of Harbinger Group.  Steinberg named as new Chairman and the group is looking for a new CEO.

Anyone any views on what's going on here and whether it's a good thing?

Thanks

ajc

« Reply #928 on: November 25, 2014, 11:09:26 AM »

Phil Falcone resigns as Chairman / CEO of Harbinger Group.  Steinberg named as new Chairman and the group is looking for a new CEO.

Anyone any views on what's going on here and whether it's a good thing?

Thanks

My initial reaction based on very little to no information is that I'm fine with it. Whether that opinion's really worth anything at this stage is a different question.

Assuming that there's no fraud or illegal activity that's been uncovered, I'd say I'm happier having Steinberg as chairman instead of having Falcone in charge.
I'm assuming that between Steinberg, Handler and Friedman (or whoever leads the process), Leucadia will be able to find a competent person to run Harbinger Group and my guess is that the new person they find will not have a history of bending or overstepping the rules like Falcone did.

So given those few factors, I like it as much as a person can like something where there's really not many details to go on.

gfp

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #929 on: November 25, 2014, 11:19:07 AM »
Is the timing of this just because his 5 year ban from hedge fund management is over?  I certainly wasn't too pleased to see HC2 mentioned in the wall street journal this morning in the story.  Secrets out on that one now, I guess.

Edit:  I guess it hasn't been anywhere close to 5 years, so he's still banned from the hedge fund.  he's allowed to "help"
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 12:53:29 PM by globalfinancepartners »