Author Topic: OSTK - Overstock.com  (Read 144461 times)

Mephistopheles

Re: OSTK - Overstock.com
« Reply #190 on: April 21, 2012, 10:31:19 PM »
1st Q report out:

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/overstock-com-returns-1st-quarter-141104770.html

Good progress on cost cutting.  As I said before...absolutely no reason why this company cannot be profitable on an annual basis. 

Need to push fulfillment business, rather than direct business.  With continued cost cutting, improved merchandising and marketing, revenues and profits should increase.  Cheers!

Agree on the cost cutting. Was disappointed that they didn't talk about buying back stock like they did in the last CC. Overall I was pleased.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 01:36:55 PM by Mephistopheles »

Mephistopheles

« Reply #191 on: April 30, 2012, 01:35:38 PM »
I thought I'd share with you all this web analytics site I came across that is much better, in my opinion, than Compete.com.

http://www.alexa.com/

manualofideas

• The Manual of Ideas
« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2012, 04:49:55 PM »

lessthaniv

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #193 on: June 08, 2012, 05:16:56 PM »
Great stuff MOI, thanks for sharing !!
<IV

OracleofCarolina

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #194 on: June 12, 2012, 12:24:59 PM »

Granitepost

« Reply #195 on: July 19, 2012, 06:17:00 AM »
OSTK 2012 Q2 earnings look encouraging.  It is nice to see a profit, even though it is not large.
Revenue: $239.5M vs. $235.0M (2% increase);
Gross margin: 18.0% vs. 16.9% (110 basis point increase);
Gross profit: $43.2M vs. $39.8M (8.5% increase);
Sales and marketing expense: $13.5M vs. $13.7M (1% decrease);
Net income (loss): $470,000 vs. $(7.8)M ($8.3M increase); and
Diluted EPS: $0.02/share vs. $(0.34)/share ($0.36 increase).

Parsad

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: July 19, 2012, 01:41:03 PM »
OSTK 2012 Q2 earnings look encouraging.  It is nice to see a profit, even though it is not large.
Revenue: $239.5M vs. $235.0M (2% increase);
Gross margin: 18.0% vs. 16.9% (110 basis point increase);
Gross profit: $43.2M vs. $39.8M (8.5% increase);
Sales and marketing expense: $13.5M vs. $13.7M (1% decrease);
Net income (loss): $470,000 vs. $(7.8)M ($8.3M increase); and
Diluted EPS: $0.02/share vs. $(0.34)/share ($0.36 increase).

Hey, I said this business should be profitable quarter in and quarter out.  I spoke to Sam Mitchell about this in Toronto, and I think the Overstock team, as well as their board, is focused on doing just that.  Sam said 2012 was their year to prove it and so far so good.  Usually the 2nd quarter is a tough quarter and they lose money in the 3rd quarter as well, as they ramp up for the big 4th quarter, but if they have a profitable 3rd quarter as I expect, then they should finish 2012 with excellent results.  Cheers!
No man is a failure who has friends!

premfan

« Reply #197 on: July 19, 2012, 02:08:33 PM »
I  have been thinking about starting a small position for months but cant make myself to pull the trigger due to managements inability to control SG & A. Comparing the numbers with amazon there is no reason why overstock cant earn sustainable profits.  I fear that management will keep ramping up the SG & A percent to revenue each year. The company is growing revenue at an impressive rate for the last decade. Management needs to have some sort of normalized SG & A percent to revenue like amazon does.  Amazon is 11-13 percent SG & A since 06.  Overstock since 06 is 9-17 percent SG and A compared to revenue. Thats a massive spread due to horrible management. I love there business but new management is definitely needed. I would like to understand this story better. Overstock experts any insight?

Parsad

• Administrator
« Reply #198 on: July 19, 2012, 02:44:25 PM »
I  have been thinking about starting a small position for months but cant make myself to pull the trigger due to managements inability to control SG & A. Comparing the numbers with amazon there is no reason why overstock cant earn sustainable profits.  I fear that management will keep ramping up the SG & A percent to revenue each year. The company is growing revenue at an impressive rate for the last decade. Management needs to have some sort of normalized SG & A percent to revenue like amazon does.  Amazon is 11-13 percent SG & A since 06.  Overstock since 06 is 9-17 percent SG and A compared to revenue. Thats a massive spread due to horrible management. I love there business but new management is definitely needed. I would like to understand this story better. Overstock experts any insight?

I think that Steve Chestnut and Jonathan Johnson are working to help keep things more orderly.  Along with the board playing a more intricate role...such as not allowing the buybacks just yet.  As long as they can keep Patrick focused, Overstock will do fine.  Cheers!
No man is a failure who has friends!

link01

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #199 on: July 19, 2012, 04:07:39 PM »

yea, i go way back with overstock. as more of a buy & holder than a trader i've got what can be charitably called a checkered history with ostk as an investment over the yrs.

patrick may be a dr of philosopy with a major in the taoist/buddhist disciplines but at heart he's a very emotional, gut-feel, shoot from the hip kind of guy. when he's had a good qtr or 2 of favorable comps & the wind at his back he tends to go off the rails & swing for the fences, eschewing the smaller, more measured incremental gains that take deeper root in more fertile ground & sow the seeds for future solid compounded growth.
that said, i seem to have a soft spot in my heart (as well in my head!) for the the good dr & ostk, and am a perennial fan, always richer in hope & poorer in  pocket for my foibles.