Author Topic: OSTK - Overstock.com  (Read 144662 times)

TwoCitiesCapital

Re: OSTK - Overstock.com
« Reply #300 on: August 29, 2017, 10:47:46 AM »
Overstock on fire!  Run baby run!   Finally market value is catching up to intrinsic value.   Byrne says will take private by end of year if the stock does not move up.     Also, OSTK looking to separate blockchain investments with main business.  Simplicity in the story should attract investors.  Goal is to make investors compare Wayfair with OSTK.   Look at market cap to sales.  Ridiculous...

Do you have the source where he said that? Just curious. No position so far.

spark411

« Reply #301 on: August 29, 2017, 12:27:24 PM »
Here you go.    Page 12 and 13.   Thanks!

file:///C:/Users/spark/Downloads/OSTK-USQ_Transcript_2017-08-03%20(1).pdf

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #302 on: August 29, 2017, 12:53:58 PM »
Here you go.    Page 12 and 13.   Thanks!

file:///C:/Users/spark/Downloads/OSTK-USQ_Transcript_2017-08-03%20(1).pdf

That is a link to a file on your computer.

EDIT: I found it online though.  Thanks for the tip on where to look.
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4095247-overstock-coms-ostk-ceo-patrick-byrne-q2-2017-results-earnings-call-transcript?page=11
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 01:00:58 PM by rkbabang »

TwoCitiesCapital

« Reply #303 on: August 29, 2017, 01:21:13 PM »
"Id be very interested in going private. And probably looking for the right partner, have some ideas."

Wonder if he's referencing Prem given their history and the comment about looking for the right partners? Maybe I'm just biased given this is a Fairfax forum and I'm a member...

Wish he'd given us a better idea of the value he sees in the company to know what his benchmark is for making something "strategic" happen. The stock is up nearly 30% since those comments so maybe that was enough to hold off any of the planned changes.

OracleofCarolina

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #304 on: September 27, 2017, 04:59:43 PM »
Congrats to those still in this!

Parsad

• Administrator
« Reply #305 on: September 27, 2017, 05:21:19 PM »

We bought tons in May and August...in fact, it was going to be double the size of any of our positions, but the order in August was only 1/5th filled!  :(

We have not sold any...fair value is in the $37-45 range, especially if they spin-off the blockchain business...that's about $10-13 by itself in this market, and Overstock retail is about $27-35.

Cheers!
No man is a failure who has friends!

ourkid8

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #306 on: September 27, 2017, 06:05:18 PM »
I hope the purchase was in a PDH account!

We bought tons in May and August...in fact, it was going to be double the size of any of our positions, but the order in August was only 1/5th filled!  :(

We have not sold any...fair value is in the $37-45 range, especially if they spin-off the blockchain business...that's about $10-13 by itself in this market, and Overstock retail is about $27-35.

Cheers!

premfan

« Reply #307 on: September 28, 2017, 06:55:50 AM »
Spin off at earliest is 2019. Valuing the blockchain business is forecasting 2019. Occam would be sad with the assumption parade

KinAlberta

« Reply #308 on: October 18, 2017, 10:25:20 AM »

Cheers!

Many years back I owned OSTK only to come back in a year or so ago after sitting out for maybe a decade. However, I bought small and pared it back in early 2017 and kept a small position until recently when I doubled it. So, it's still miniscule.

That said, I'm really curious about your reasoning in trying to as you said: "going to be double the size of any of our positions".

Now that there's talk of taking it private, I see the management in a new light. It shows a willingness either one, pump one's stock when proper financial reporting fails, or two, to thoroughly screw over existing, possibly very long term minority shareholders - usually at a price well below intrinsic value as estimated by those most able to determine it - the insiders themselves. No easier way to transfer wealth from your partners to yourself. (Wealth being not just the current value but the fact that it exists at all.)

Note: as someone that traded in and out - I had no long term loyalty but I'm sure there would be others that have likely stuck with it for many many years.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 10:32:33 AM by KinAlberta »

kh812000

« Reply #309 on: October 19, 2017, 08:51:33 AM »
Prior short seller Cohodes goes long....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m44Nu6ffyfI

He says OSTK generates 100mm in FCF.   Anyone else see this?  I dont see it at all in the #s but perhaps other initiatives/costs masking true cash generation of the ecommerce biz?