Author Topic: TSLA - Tesla Motors  (Read 881700 times)

rb

Re: TSLA - Tesla Motors
« Reply #2130 on: August 26, 2018, 01:38:42 PM »
I don't know if it's depreciation. Autos are constantly retooling their facilities. Capex consistently exceeds depreciation. So their PPE is pretty fresh. As for manufacturing components, Magna has a lot of factories making shitloads of components for loads of vehicles and they do it with $8 billion in PPE.

It just looks like Tesla is spending like a drunken sailor.

Grant

« Reply #2131 on: August 27, 2018, 03:13:42 PM »
Does anyone have an informed opinion on how #FundingSecured will affect Tesla's ability to raise capital?

The SEC's job is to protect investors. They aren't in the business of wrecking real companies. I believe the worst possible outcome for Tesla's share price is Musk being bared from serving as a director or officer of a public company. If this happens I expect Tesla will call him Chief Product Architect, hire a new CEO, raise capital, and have a brighter future ahead of it.

Gregmal

« Reply #2132 on: August 27, 2018, 03:26:52 PM »
Does anyone have an informed opinion on how #FundingSecured will affect Tesla's ability to raise capital?

The SEC's job is to protect investors. They aren't in the business of wrecking real companies. I believe the worst possible outcome for Tesla's share price is Musk being bared from serving as a director or officer of a public company. If this happens I expect Tesla will call him Chief Product Architect, hire a new CEO, raise capital, and have a brighter future ahead of it.

At worst you're looking at a de minimus fine and a consent decree IMO

rb

« Reply #2133 on: August 27, 2018, 03:32:58 PM »
The outcome of the SEC investigation (whatever it may be) will not have any effect on Tesla ability or inability to raise capital in the future.

TwoCitiesCapital

« Reply #2134 on: August 27, 2018, 06:33:09 PM »
Not even going private anymore - this f*cking guy!!!!

I stand by my "bizarre" comments earlier. His behavior is bizarre & erratic and the early reports on the new model leave a lot to be wanted and they haven't even scaled it up to the goal nor are they selling the higher end model to get the margins they need.

We MUST be nearing the end-game when people are going to realize it's not all that they thought it was under the hood.

Investmentacct

« Reply #2135 on: August 27, 2018, 06:41:54 PM »
Waymo is years ahead of Tesla in fully autonomous driving. Tesla's Autopilot is a glorified cruise control that can't seem to stop crashing into firetrucks: https://twitter.com/SJFirefighters/status/1033440297089359872
Tesla autopilot works perfectly fine with combining level 5 human and Autopilot level 2-3.  Drove 20k miles or so on road trips on Tesla autopilot . No fatigue from travel or long distance journeys whatsoever. Allow effectively more miles to be driven.

Grant

« Reply #2136 on: August 27, 2018, 06:43:44 PM »
At worst you're looking at a de minimus fine and a consent decree IMO

A slap on the wrist is what I'd expect under normal circumstances. Given how high-profile this is, don't you think the SEC might make an example out of Elon? This isn't a fraudster practically no one has ever heard of, like Barry Honig. Elon is a celebrity.

The outcome of the SEC investigation (whatever it may be) will not have any effect on Tesla ability or inability to raise capital in the future.

Does the SEC not take investigations into account when deciding whether or not to declare an offering effective?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 06:46:52 PM by Grant »

rb

« Reply #2137 on: August 27, 2018, 06:54:22 PM »

Does the SEC not take investigations into account when deciding whether or not to declare an offering effective?
I was being a bit coy. As things stand right now, there are no offerings to be made for Tesla. So what the SEC may or may not do is really irrelevant.

Edit: Just to clarify. For Tesla the bond markets are closed tighter than a nun's knees. And they're gonna need billions in capital. It would be hard for them to raise that amount in the equity markets under the best of circumstances. But after the recent antics, forget about it, SEC or no SEC.

So that leaves private placements for them. Particularly investors with more money than brains and some that may be "strategic" such as the Chinese. It should be noted that Tesla has been pretty good at getting these sort of placements in the past. So I think they'll be ok. But the terms may be more sucky this time around.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2018, 07:07:22 PM by rb »

Grant

« Reply #2138 on: August 27, 2018, 08:04:17 PM »
I was being a bit coy. As things stand right now, there are no offerings to be made for Tesla. So what the SEC may or may not do is really irrelevant.
Well I'd assume Tesla would have some way of knowing if an offering could be declared effective, so they wouldn't just throw out S-3(/A)s and hope, like RIOT and its ilk.

Tesla can lower the 2019 convertible debt conversion price as low as $253 if they want, so I'm not sure their immediate cash needs are as dire as most shorts think.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen