Author Topic: TSLA - Tesla Motors  (Read 888082 times)

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member

Gregmal

DooDiligence

• ♪ 🎶 ♫ ♪ 🎶 ♫
Re: TSLA - Tesla Motors
« Reply #2152 on: August 31, 2018, 05:59:49 AM »
AFL // BRK.B // CLB an incredibly stupid move // EW // GPC // MO an incredibly stupid ex-CEO // MTB // NVO // PSX // TRMD // ULTA // VDE // VLGEA // WFC

Investable cash 16% + 18 months of survival $

augustabound

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2153 on: August 31, 2018, 10:34:48 AM »
"What happened to 345,000 reservations?"

What was the stipulation to putting down the deposit as far as price went?  I'm assuming nothing more than his word that they hoped the car would come in at $35k?
"Serenity now, insanity later." - Lloyd Braun

boilermaker75

« Reply #2154 on: August 31, 2018, 12:41:31 PM »
"What happened to 345,000 reservations?"

What was the stipulation to putting down the deposit as far as price went?  I'm assuming nothing more than his word that they hoped the car would come in at $35k?

I beleive in theory that vehicle is still $35k, but they have never made one. The have only made the extended range with premium interior, which is $49,000.

Edit: The Tesla website for ordering a model 3 indicates the standard battery will be available in 5-8 months, which theoretically might be the $35,000 version?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 02:05:58 PM by boilermaker75 »

augustabound

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2155 on: August 31, 2018, 02:51:30 PM »
Ah OK. I checked the site again and totally missed the "order now" button which would have given me the price. .
"Serenity now, insanity later." - Lloyd Braun

rb

« Reply #2156 on: September 05, 2018, 12:04:26 AM »
Looks like Musk is at it again:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/elon-musk-doubles-down-on-personal-attack-against-cave-rescuer-calls-him-child-rapist-2018-09-04

Everyone moved apparently moved off the Thailand story except for Elon Musk. You've gotta wonder even in 2018 when does a board of directors becomes a board of directors.

Meanwhile, competition is coming.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tesla-germany-daimler-mercedes/mercedes-unveils-electric-car-in-direct-german-challenge-to-tesla-idUSKCN1LK26G

Dynamic

« Reply #2157 on: September 05, 2018, 12:55:30 AM »
One would think that the German auto industry with all its long distance unrestricted speed Autobahns (often the reason for 155 mph/250 km/h speed limiters in so many German cars) would really try to compete head on with Tesla's top production vehicles on range at 300 miles/500 km with a luxury car or SUV, thus allowing 200 mile/300km cruising at 160km/h (100 mph) or so. I can understand that battery availability is limited (unless, like Tesla/Panasonic you have a dedicated supply) and cost is a large proportion, but for a high priced top-of-the-range halo car, people would be willing to pay up for 100-120 kWh battery luxury cars, as Tesla has demonstrated. Almost by default, all-wheel drive and high current output/high power and torque come with that at minimal additional cost, so you would also compete with Tesla on acceleration and have a hard-core halo car that really grabs attention and out-accelerates a whole bunch of supercars. 300 km/200 mile range more affordable versions could then follow, but surely it's worth pushing out a truly high end vehicle first, even if volumes are low and prices high. Perhaps an AMG-badged version could be released around the same time with such a high spec.

My hope is that the Porsche Taycan (formerly Mission E concept) will actually be a real competitor to Tesla.

Grant

« Reply #2158 on: September 05, 2018, 03:07:15 PM »
I'm not sure if Li-ion cars can cruise at 130+ MPH without overheating. Porsche says the Taycan will be able to. We'll see. Either way their range at those speeds would be awful. Sustained high-output is going to go to ICEs for many years to come.

Dynamic

« Reply #2159 on: September 06, 2018, 04:06:03 AM »
That's certainly difficult, as you say, Grant. With the power to overcome aerodynamic drag going up as the cube of air-speed (and energy consumption per unit distance (e.g. Wh/km) increasing with the square of speed), cooling needs to be seriously beefed up on any car designed to sustain truly high speeds, the Bugatti Veyron/Chiron being a notable exotic ICEV in this regard.

And it's clearly an time and energy-inefficient way to travel long distances to use such high speeds, but OK for sprints of perhaps 150-200 km or less as demonstrated by a few YouTubers in Teslas.

I think Bjorn Nyland on YouTube worked through an estimation that a typical Tesla Model X 85D's optimum driving speed to produce the shortest trip time on a long trip is somewhere close to about 90 mph/150 km/h given Supercharger charging speed adds range so fast to 80% or so, so as a system it's already pretty optimal for slightly faster than typical speeds used on long trips in Europe and the Americas, and the human need to take comfort breaks of similar duration to charging times. The Taycan with 300 kW charging capability and very low CdA may suit even faster cruising speeds and be ideally suited to unrestricted Autobahn speed freaks, assuming they must have battery cooling to match, but that's still some time from being available.