Author Topic: TSLA - Tesla Motors  (Read 914319 times)

Gregmal

Re: TSLA - Tesla Motors
« Reply #3240 on: January 09, 2020, 11:48:00 AM »
"If you run through a dynamite factory with a lit match, you might survive, but you're still an idiot."  Joel Greenblatt

"If you run through a dynamite factory unaware your pants are on fire, you will likely share the same fate as an idiot who carries a match"  -Gregmal

StevieV

« Reply #3241 on: January 09, 2020, 12:54:05 PM »
TSLA has many superfan customers, not just superfan investors.  The superfan customers have money, buy the cars and even put down deposits years in advance.

I recall reading a tweet from a TSLA owner that went something along these lines.  This is from memory, so I may have at least some of the details wrong.  Anyway, he had a roof leak in his car.  Tried to get it fixed I think a couple of times and the problem persisted.  Was looking for a solution.  Brand new and expensive car.  The roof leaks.  The company fails to fix it on multiple occasions.  Still, had to state multiple times how he loved the car.

Are you kidding me?  Can you imagine someone buying a new Ford or Toyota, having the roof leak, being unable to get the company to fix it and still saying that they love the car.

How about the Cybertruck?  After initial ridicule, I again see a lot of support among the TSLA fans and again including deposits.  What other car company could have that launch show (along with the failed window test) and it not be a complete disaster?

Say what you want about the cars - that's the type of fans TSLA has.  That's worth something.  Is it worth the current valuation?  I don't know that it is, but I'm wary of shorting a company with those types of fans.

jmp8822

« Reply #3242 on: January 09, 2020, 08:52:20 PM »
I was convinced, after analyzing the financials, before the most recent capital raise, that it was over. The money was gone and they were not going to make payroll. Then at the 11th hour Elon raised his cash and there was no longer immediate collapse on the horizon. The problem with shorting Tesla is there is not a good reason for it to go down if they have cash. Every logical reason for the valuation to go down has already happened. Horrible losses, horrible product issues, criminal acts from the CEO - none have had a long-term effect on the stock. Once the SEC and DOJ have decided to apparently do nothing, why would the stock go down? The people that own it clearly don't care what a stock should be worth.

gary17

« Reply #3243 on: January 13, 2020, 01:33:48 PM »
well... $520 secured
up 24% from take private price
lol. 

Jurgis

• Porfolio
« Reply #3244 on: January 13, 2020, 02:26:05 PM »
well... $520 secured
up 24% from take private price
lol.

Saudis should have paid $420. Might have been better investment than the Vision Fund.  ;)
"Human civilization? It might be a good idea." - Not Gandhi
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
"Money is an illusion" - Not Karl Marx
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"

blainehodder

« Reply #3245 on: January 13, 2020, 02:49:39 PM »
I was convinced, after analyzing the financials, before the most recent capital raise, that it was over. The money was gone and they were not going to make payroll. Then at the 11th hour Elon raised his cash and there was no longer immediate collapse on the horizon. The problem with shorting Tesla is there is not a good reason for it to go down if they have cash. Every logical reason for the valuation to go down has already happened. Horrible losses, horrible product issues, criminal acts from the CEO - none have had a long-term effect on the stock. Once the SEC and DOJ have decided to apparently do nothing, why would the stock go down? The people that own it clearly don't care what a stock should be worth.

The best reason for it to go down is it going down. Fundamentals just don't matter here. The best reason for why it is going up, is it is going up. If you are going to short it, pick a moving average eg 20 MA and pile on once it has rolled over some, don't jump in front of a train as it goes up 5%+/day. Momentum is a real phenomenon and it isn't illogical.

Spekulatius

« Reply #3246 on: January 13, 2020, 03:22:13 PM »
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3247 on: January 17, 2020, 07:35:37 AM »
$500 really makes no sense to me, but the Model S is still the only electric car I that would consider owning.

T-bone1

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3248 on: January 17, 2020, 08:46:14 AM »
$500 really makes no sense to me, but the Model S is still the only electric car I that would consider owning.
+1

Cigarbutt

« Reply #3249 on: January 17, 2020, 09:32:39 AM »
+1
If time is available, why is that?

Disclosure:
-i'm not a car person (I once declined an opportunity to test-drive a Lamborghini and lost a 'friend').
-i opportunistically invested twice before in Linamar (ages ago it seems) and may go for another ride if I can come to a reasonable re-appraisal of fundamentals within the next few months (or years?).
https://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax.ca/forum/investment-ideas/lnr-to-linamar-corporation/60/

https://www.statista.com/chart/13075/most-important-factors-when-buying-a-car/
https://mitsloan.mit.edu/LearningEdge/CaseDocs/18.188.Teslas%20Entry%20into%20the%20U.S.%20Auto%20Industry.pdf

Any input in sentiment would be appreciated.