Author Topic: TSLA - Tesla Motors  (Read 960139 times)

Jurgis

• Porfolio
Re: TSLA - Tesla Motors
« Reply #4190 on: September 23, 2020, 11:01:45 AM »
VW ID.4 - US sales in 2022 - I guess they believe that EU is more attractive market.

https://www.autocarpro.in/news-international/new-id-4-suv-is-volkswagen-first-global-ev-67257

Not planning to buy car next year anyway, so might see what are the best choices in 2022.  8)

Tesla recently sent me another email about inventory availability. It seems there are more and cheaper (IIRC) Model 3s available in our area (or even shipped).
"Human civilization? It might be a good idea." - Not Gandhi
"Before you can be rich, you must be poor." - Nef Anyo
"Money is an illusion" - Not Karl Marx
--------------------------------------------------------------------
"American History X", "Milk", "The Insider", "Dirty Money", "LBJ"

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • libertyrpf.com
    • http://www.libertyrpf.com
« Reply #4191 on: September 23, 2020, 11:33:57 AM »
Watched most of the battery announcements. If they call pull it off over the coming years, this is pretty amazing stuff. Very large cost reductions and increases in throughput for battery manufacturing. Some big breakthroughs claimed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6T9xIeZTds

fareastwarriors

« Reply #4192 on: September 23, 2020, 05:02:23 PM »
Watched most of the battery announcements. If they call pull it off over the coming years, this is pretty amazing stuff. Very large cost reductions and increases in throughput for battery manufacturing. Some big breakthroughs claimed.

Agreed. I usually never watch these things but I thought this was pretty good.

Elon's timing has gotten better lately like with the Model Y and Giga Shanghai so there's hope... :)

alpha

« Reply #4193 on: September 23, 2020, 06:18:23 PM »

How did you come to that conclusion? Did they announce something that is patented and couldn't be copied by: Samsung, LG Chem, CATL, VW, etc... ?

I understand they showed some progress but it sounded more like incremental improvements which will take a long time to bring to production, not some special sauce that justifies 300bn market cap within a couple years...

Additionally it sounds like the battery packs are going to become a structural component of the car rather than a modular design that is interchangeable with fixed energy storage systems. Wasn't a modular design the key to the "gigafactory" proposal in order to leverage the economies of scale? Sounds like that idea is now abandoned...

cherzeca

« Reply #4194 on: September 23, 2020, 06:48:18 PM »
I find it surprising that tsla has a factory built for them in china, to service china demand, and is now suing in ITC to void US imposed export duties on china made goods.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • libertyrpf.com
    • http://www.libertyrpf.com
« Reply #4195 on: September 24, 2020, 06:11:08 AM »

How did you come to that conclusion? Did they announce something that is patented and couldn't be copied by: Samsung, LG Chem, CATL, VW, etc... ?

I understand they showed some progress but it sounded more like incremental improvements which will take a long time to bring to production, not some special sauce that justifies 300bn market cap within a couple years...

Additionally it sounds like the battery packs are going to become a structural component of the car rather than a modular design that is interchangeable with fixed energy storage systems. Wasn't a modular design the key to the "gigafactory" proposal in order to leverage the economies of scale? Sounds like that idea is now abandoned...

I came to the conclusion by thinking with my head.

I sure hope others copy this if it works. That's how progress works.

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #4196 on: September 24, 2020, 07:38:18 AM »

Could be copied?   LOL.  Tesla has opened up all of their patents in the hope that they will be copied and the traditional automakers are still unable or unwilling to compete.

Spekulatius

« Reply #4197 on: September 24, 2020, 10:07:49 AM »
If the battery becomes a structural component of the car, every small crash will likely total the car. A battery failure of any sort will do the same.
Hopefully, they thought this through. Even right now, it seems that Tesla cars are very expensive to repair.
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.

arcube

« Reply #4198 on: September 24, 2020, 11:05:36 AM »
Spek,

Help me understand what you mean. Whatever has been replaced (the original structural part) to reduce weight would have totaled the car as well in an event of crash? No, what am I missing?

Thanks.

If the battery becomes a structural component of the car, every small crash will likely total the car. A battery failure of any sort will do the same.
Hopefully, they thought this through. Even right now, it seems that Tesla cars are very expensive to repair.

Spekulatius

« Reply #4199 on: September 24, 2020, 04:16:32 PM »
Spek,

Help me understand what you mean. Whatever has been replaced (the original structural part) to reduce weight would have totaled the car as well in an event of crash? No, what am I missing?

Thanks.

Well, if the battery is a structural element, it means it likely gets damaged in a car crash. Batteries canít be repaired, so would need to be replaced by removing it from the structure and putting a new one in. Sounds like a major surgery which probably means very costly to do and often leads to total loss as it is cheaper to buy a new car then to totally replace the guts and straighten the frame.

With a regular car, straightening the frame using CM! Equipment isnít cheap either , but is cost effective in most cases. I doubt that is the case If frame and battery are fused together. TeslaĎs already have a reputation of being very difficult and expensive to repair and it looks like this will make it worse.
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.