Author Topic: WFM - Whole Foods Market  (Read 53292 times)

roark33

Re: WFM - Whole Foods Market
« Reply #140 on: April 14, 2017, 02:18:53 PM »
I have probably looked at WFM 10 different times over the years and each time I look Trader Joe's just haunts me.  As it should Jana....

Schwab711

« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2017, 02:24:50 PM »
IMO WFM is worse than Wegman's in every way.

Jurgis knows what's up

DTEJD1997

« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2017, 09:32:37 PM »
IMO WFM is worse than Wegman's in every way.

Jurgis knows what's up

Wegmans is the best grocery store I've ever been to...They have nothing to worry about from WFM or just about anybody else.  Their prices aren't the cheapest, but they are reasonable.  Selection is simply unrivaled.  Wegman's also has tremendous prepared food selection, way better than WFM even, and WFM is good.

I shop at Trader Joe's 10 times for every 1 time I go to WFM.  That is going to be the fly in the ointment....

fareastwarriors

« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2017, 04:40:37 PM »

ebdem

• valueDACH Value Investing Community
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2017, 06:26:05 AM »

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2017, 06:55:42 AM »
If anyone listens to the How I Built This podcast by NPR, the latest episode featured John Mackey on starting WFM.

Liberty

• Lifetime Member
  • twitter.com/libertyRPF
    • twitter.com/libertyRPF
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2017, 10:09:46 AM »
If anyone listens to the How I Built This podcast by NPR, the latest episode featured John Mackey on starting WFM.

Here's a direct link (the NPR page sadly doesn't have direct links, all eps are on the same page):

https://overcast.fm/+HKGG7PQAg
"Most haystacks don't even have a needle." |  I'm on Twitter  | This podcast episode is a must-listen

atbed

« Reply #147 on: May 18, 2017, 08:36:33 AM »
Hey all -

I visited the WFM location in Bryant Park yesterday, and boy was it crowded for dinner. We millennials seem to love paying 10.99 a pound for their hot and cold buffet. The sitting area overlooking the park was full. The margins on that are ridiculous. The chopping station was dead though. But the whole eating at a supermarket or taking food home from a supermarket thing seems muy bueno

JayGatsby

« Reply #148 on: May 18, 2017, 12:53:26 PM »
Hey all -

I visited the WFM location in Bryant Park yesterday, and boy was it crowded for dinner. We millennials seem to love paying 10.99 a pound for their hot and cold buffet. The sitting area overlooking the park was full. The margins on that are ridiculous. The chopping station was dead though. But the whole eating at a supermarket or taking food home from a supermarket thing seems muy bueno
After living in New York I'd be careful about extrapolating New Yorker food habits across the wider population. Few factors that make it different than the wider population: i) The average household income in that area is significantly above the national average, ii) a lot of millennial types in New York are eating lunch/dinner at work fairly regularly so there really is no need for regular grocery shopping, plus there is more money left over to eat out and a higher premium on the time available outside of work, and iii) the logistics of New York make it a pain to get groceries.

Having said that, I think the WFM prepared foods business is great. If their whole chain was just that I'd be a buyer. I think the 365 concept is a good one. It's the large square footage grocery that concerns me. I like their stores though and wish them the best, so hopefully I'm wrong!

atbed

« Reply #149 on: May 18, 2017, 02:51:16 PM »
Hey all -

After living in New York I'd be careful about extrapolating New Yorker food habits across the wider population. Few factors that make it different than the wider population: i) The average household income in that area is significantly above the national average, ii) a lot of millennial types in New York are eating lunch/dinner at work fairly regularly so there really is no need for regular grocery shopping, plus there is more money left over to eat out and a higher premium on the time available outside of work, and iii) the logistics of New York make it a pain to get groceries.

Having said that, I think the WFM prepared foods business is great. If their whole chain was just that I'd be a buyer. I think the 365 concept is a good one. It's the large square footage grocery that concerns me. I like their stores though and wish them the best, so hopefully I'm wrong!

No arguments here on extrapolating NY and CA. The WFM prepared food biz is great, and others seem to be doing similar thing. The entire grocery industry is exploring a shift toward more prepared foods. No bone in this one. Just an interested consumer, who was a bit surprised by the new Bryant Park location. It seemed more like a food court, with a supermarket attached than the other way around.

http://www.duffandphelps.com/assets/pdfs/publications/mergers-and-acquisitions/industry-insights/consumer/food-retail-industry-insights-2016.pdf