Author Topic: Year end Charitable contributions  (Read 981 times)

LC

Year end Charitable contributions
« on: December 18, 2019, 09:48:14 PM »
For the high roller who need to hit the 5% annual distribution mark for your LastName Charitable Foundation, welcome to the wide world of Donor Advised Funds (DAF, as in "You must be totally DAF(t) if you think some uber-rich guy isn't exploiting this loophole")

https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/12/18/21010108/larry-page-philanthropy-foundation-donor-advised-fund-christmas

Donations from the foundations to the DAF count toward the 5 percent, even if the DAF then sits on the millions indefinitely.

Just another  totally sensible portion of the tax code. Merry Xmas!  ;D
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
akam| brk.b | goog | irm | lyv | net | nlsn | pm | ssd | t | tfsl | v | wfc | xom

bizaro86

Re: Year end Charitable contributions
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2019, 10:47:57 PM »
For the high roller who need to hit the 5% annual distribution mark for your LastName Charitable Foundation, welcome to the wide world of Donor Advised Funds (DAF, as in "You must be totally DAF(t) if you think some uber-rich guy isn't exploiting this loophole")

https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/12/18/21010108/larry-page-philanthropy-foundation-donor-advised-fund-christmas

Donations from the foundations to the DAF count toward the 5 percent, even if the DAF then sits on the millions indefinitely.

Just another  totally sensible portion of the tax code. Merry Xmas!  ;D

Interesting - thanks for sharing. I have a donor advised fund, (although it is quite a few orders of magnitude smaller than Page's...). I quite like it, because it allows me to optimize timing of donations for tax planning at the front end and disbursements to the charities based on needs at the back end.