Author Topic: Age limit to run for office  (Read 3133 times)

LC

Re: Age limit to run for office
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 10:48:28 AM »
This is true, and I gave it some thought when I posted this topic. I don't like the comparison to Buffett and here's why:

-We are not talking about compounding a bank account here. I believe it was Tweedy or Fidelity who reported that it's best performing accounts were the ones whose owners had (1) forgot the account existed, or (2) died. Sitting back and doing nothing is a decent strategy for compounding money, but less so for solving an opiod crisis, for example.

-Buffett is, well, rare. If we had 100 people of his character in the Senate, this topic would not come up.

-Compounding knowledge is one thing, and it relates to the adviser point. But there is a real reason that Buffett hires young people. Greg Abel started at Berkshire at 30, and Jain in his 30s. Ted is 56 but Todd is still in his 40s.

And those guys are in the investment field, which is perhaps the "stodgiest" job of all.
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
akam| brk.b | goog | irm | lyv | net | nlsn | pm | ssd | t | tfsl | v | wfc | xom

Cigarbutt

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 11:04:10 AM »
^Fair enough.
What age limit would you put for politicians?
If you say 72, I will suspect bias here. :)
Would you also put an age limit for members of BOD or the Supreme Court?

MarkS

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 12:10:38 PM »
If you feel someone is too old to hold office, don't vote for them.  I would like the ability to decide the question for myself on a case by case basis.

LC

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 12:36:44 PM »
Iíd put the limit at 60!

If you feel someone is too old to hold office, don't vote for them.  I would like the ability to decide the question for myself on a case by case basis.
Yet 19 year-olds canít even run for office.
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
akam| brk.b | goog | irm | lyv | net | nlsn | pm | ssd | t | tfsl | v | wfc | xom

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 12:56:57 PM »
I wouldn't want to limit the max age, because I'd like to eliminate pay, pensions, and benefits for legislators which would mean mainly wealthy or retired people would run.   It would be more useful to limit terms in office to some small number, (1 term for Senate, 3 terms for house).

Gregmal

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2018, 01:25:00 PM »
Let's face it, the friendly 50 something year old that pumps gas(or works at the convenience store for those of you not in NJ) is likely a nicer and more honest person than 95% of politicians. Yet there is no way he ever gets in. Sans the occasional headline case, like Cortex Ocasio, politics is largely a well insulated good ole boys club for the wealthy and well connected. Most are not accomplished, just groomed. Age is irrelevant. Scrap all the massive benefits and limit terms.

rkbabang

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2018, 01:48:06 PM »
Age is irrelevant. Scrap all the massive benefits and limit terms.

Amen!

Spekulatius

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2018, 03:33:42 PM »
Age is irrelevant. Scrap all the massive benefits and limit terms.

Amen!

My concern is partly with representation. I believe the politicians should represent the populace (roughly) and it feels like younger generations as well as woman and possibly other groups are not well represented. Itís easier to represent a group that you belong too, rather than a populace that you canít relate too or no little about. Nothing wrong with career politicians, IMO. I think you need a mix of experience and young blood
Life is too short for cheap beer and wine.

rukawa

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2018, 01:22:28 PM »
There are old people who understand technology well. John Malone. Possibly Barry Diller.

I think the issue may not be (just the) age, but rather congresspeople and senators just not knowing technology in general.

OTOH, it is possible to cut them some slack and argue that they cannot know every single industry in depth. E.g. do they also have to know all details of pharmacology or fracking or logistics? It would be great if we had Musk Neuralink that would provide/synthesize all knowledge on every topic for every (congress)person when needed. But that's not available yet.

Then how can they write intelligent regulations that govern these industries?