Author Topic: Make Alberta Great Again!  (Read 4399 times)

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
Re: Make Alberta Great Again!
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2019, 07:15:38 PM »
I didn't mischarecterize anything.

Governments are the same everywhere: they try to please their constituents.

Alberta is no different and being part of Canada, I cannot imagine them not having access to free healthcare and a host of other services. Are you asking them to forego such things?

At the same time, they were considered "rich" since they made money with this oil & gas. So they gave tax breaks to their citizens (no PST, low fixed income tax rate) and also contributed mightily to the well being of Canada via equalization.

And now somehow they should still be like Norway and have this enormous surplus fund....

Well, all I am saying is that they could have this fund if they were independent.

Cardboard

HalfMeasure

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2019, 06:24:20 AM »
I didn't mischarecterize anything.

Governments are the same everywhere: they try to please their constituents.

Alberta is no different and being part of Canada, I cannot imagine them not having access to free healthcare and a host of other services. Are you asking them to forego such things?

At the same time, they were considered "rich" since they made money with this oil & gas. So they gave tax breaks to their citizens (no PST, low fixed income tax rate) and also contributed mightily to the well being of Canada via equalization.

And now somehow they should still be like Norway and have this enormous surplus fund....

Well, all I am saying is that they could have this fund if they were independent.

Cardboard

That doesn't address my points at all, it's merely you reiterating the same narrative you've stuck to for the entire discussion. In fact, I agreed with you on equalization payments.

jeffmori7

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2019, 06:16:02 AM »

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2019, 08:41:22 AM »
An article filled with lies from non other than a leftist, unionist, doing all he can to defend his job at a money losing venture called CBC or to the tune of $1.2 billion/year that has no reason to exist anymore.

Alberta is the richest province? Why? How is that calculated?

What about hydro electricity in Quebec? Vast gold, iron, copper resources, forestry. A larger manufacturing base and service economy. Is this part of the equation? By the way oil and gas are depleting resources while hydro is renewable.

Quebec has no oil? False! They have a moratorium in place to prevent any kind of extraction. The entire low land region surrounding the St Lawrence River contains large amounts of oil and gas. Why extracting any oil while you can just open your hand and receive over $13 billion/year saying that you have none?

Problem to solve Alberta's fiscal issues: raise taxes, implement a sales tax. Those who are old enough recall how difficult it was when GST was implemented nationally. A real big recession came not long after. While it was not the only cause, raising taxes while your economy is weak is the equivalent of economic suicide.

The real problem is this, oil is no longer selling for $100/barrel and Alberta's revenues are no longer what they were. How they chose to spend their money is their own problem. Albertans don't tell Quebec or Ontario how to manage their budget.

However, when the oil price gets cut in half, then equalization payments should be adjusted accordingly since Alberta's richness drops and its capacity to send money to other provinces. This is very simple logic but, that seems really hard to catch for people who feed themselves on others misery and on top of that refuse any help such as letting a single pipeline go through their land.

Cardboard

jeffmori7

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2019, 12:19:59 PM »
I do agree with you that equalization is strangely based on some resources and not others. But oil and gas has provided much more richness to Alberta than anything comparable in Canada. It is why it is a rich province. It is still a richer province, even though the revenues are less than before. Over time, maybe it will lead to Alberta paying less equalization, but I don't think this thing is moving swiftly. And it is not complicated to balance Albertan budget.

Fiscal capacity of Alberta is much higher than what they use nowadays. To reduce the deficit, they can obviously use a taxation that would stabilize the governmental revenue.

Honestly, Alberta is guilty of relying too much on a cyclic industry (and Canada too, indirectly, including Quebec). I would like Alberta to aim at diversifying its economy away from cyclical and polluting ressources and as a Quebecois, I would be much happy to help them attain this goal.

On this, as a "proud owner" with all my fellow canadien of the TransMountain pipeline, I wish good luck to Albertans and do hope that you can look at the 21st century from now on.