Author Topic: Trump Has a New Press Secretary: Kayleigh McEnany  (Read 14402 times)

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
Re: Trump Has a New Press Secretary: Kayleigh McEnany
« Reply #240 on: June 01, 2020, 07:24:16 PM »
Bishop Mariann E. Budde, bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington, of which St. John’s is a part, said she was “outraged” that President Trump went to the church “after he threatened to basically rain down military force.”

“The president used a Bible, the most sacred text of the Judeo-Christian tradition, and one of the churches of my diocese, without even asking us, as a backdrop for a message antithetical to the teachings of Jesus and everything that our church stands for,” she said.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/george-floyd-protests-today-06-01?action=click&module=Spotlight&pgtype=Homepage#military-helicopter-uses-show-of-force-on-protesters

meiroy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #241 on: June 01, 2020, 07:56:42 PM »
Now I get it why some groups are so vehemently in support of military-grade weapons in the hands of civilians: it's because deep inside they know themselves, they know that one day they might need to protect themselves from themselves.

Same for blindly pushing for small government, regardless of the consequences, because when their representatives are so corrupt that can actually make sense.

https://lincolnproject.us/news/rich-mitch/

« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 07:58:49 PM by meiroy »

Castanza

« Reply #242 on: June 01, 2020, 08:04:05 PM »
Now I get it why some groups are so vehemently in support of military-grade weapons in the hands of civilians: it's because deep inside they know themselves, they know that one day they might need to protect themselves from themselves.

Same for blindly pushing for small government, regardless of the consequences, because when their representatives are so corrupt that can actually make sense.

https://lincolnproject.us/news/rich-mitch/

I can’t understand what you’re trying to say.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 08:23:35 PM by Castanza »
Core: BRK | MSFT | GOOG | RTX | MSGS | TPL | WFC | USB | PNC | BAC | VZ | VNO | PCYO | PLNT | ESPO | HACK

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #243 on: June 01, 2020, 10:36:44 PM »
A Twitter account that tweeted a call to violence and claimed to be representing the position of "Antifa" was in fact created by a known white supremacist group, Twitter said Monday.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/02/tech/antifa-fake-twitter-account/index.html

rb

« Reply #244 on: June 02, 2020, 03:52:07 PM »
2A seems like a pretty good thing right about now. Just saying...If you need the cops in your neighborhood, good luck!
Great, now I would need to shoot people because cops won't do their damn job for which I pay them for. How about US just cleans out its fucking act. Every other civilized country out there (and a lot of the uncivilized ones) manages to have its police force not murder its citizens and enforce the law and provide protection. I.E. THEIR FUCKING JOB!

But somehow in the US this is not possible and you need to arm yourself and be ready to shoot people?  ::)

Police will never be able to stop everything.....that's the point.....Even in good times it can take the police 20+ minutes to respond to many areas. Not a chance I'm willing to take with my family. "Hold on Mr. Robber, the police are coming in 20 minutes to stop you."

Also I think you're equating two separate issues that are conveniently highlighted together because of police past actions. If the police are bad why would you want them to be responsible for your protection? If there aren't enough police to be everywhere on time would you really want there to be enough police to be everywhere on time?

Police need to clean their act up. But citizens also have the right to protect themselves. Not to mention that also holds the police accountable.
I think you bring up some interesting points. Which made me think.... How much should I get paid to shoot a human being. Because when mr robber is involved that's what it comes down to. I will get a financial benefit (in the value i don't loose) by shooting mr robber.

So simple example. Guy pulls a guy on me asks for my wallet. I usually carry between $100-$200. Say I have a a gun on me. In any situation where there are weapons involved there's also fair chance I would get hurt. But let's say I'm  Chuck Norris and I don't have any concerns about that. Would I shoot someone for $200? Absolutely not.

Say someone comes to rob my house. Assuming they're not gonna steal the flooring or stuff like that there's maybe 20-30K of value in my house. But usually robbers used to just want your TV. These days they don't even want steal that the probably just want your ipad. There's probably 10k max of stealable stuff in my house. So will I shoot someone for 10 thousand dollars? No.

Now I'm sure a lot of 2A people would think that I'm a pussy cause I don't stand and protect my property. Whereas they do. But actually I just really don't like shooting people or hurting people for that matter.

Now let me address another point you raised in the long police response time - 20+minutes etc. I think it's not relevant here.

I am a well off white guy. I live in a rich which neighborhood. Police response time where i live for anything even remotely violent will be around one minute. I can guarantee you that even in Minneapolis with all that has been going on the white, rich neighborhoods were well protected. The places where police response is 20 minutes are not the rich, white places. They are the poor, coloured places. That creates a problem with 2A. Because the poor coloured people in practice don't have the same 2A rights as my type has because the law is not applied the same across socio-economic strata. You can see this clearly in how drug convictions come down.

So here is where it gets grotesque. Someone like me can use the 2A even though I don't need it. Because I have a ton of police protection and any property loss would be immaterial. But people that would need the 2A because police don't give a shit about them, and if they bought that ipad they had to work hard and save to buy that ipad, they're effectively prohibited from using it.

cwericb

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #245 on: June 02, 2020, 04:36:27 PM »
Castanza and I have expressed our differing positions on this subject a few months ago. But he said this earlier in a response to something I posted in this thread:

"The last thing I want to do is kill someone....wanting to do and having to do are two different things. But yes, I think in general people should be intelligent about owning a firearm. My wife and myself have both taken multiple classes for firearm safety. Touching on proper use, when to use, when not to use, your rights, what’s legal and what isn’t legal etc. How to clear a home, how to not shoot your neighbor or family members etc. If you do shoot someone what to do etc. I have a concealed carry but tbh I never carry. It’s more for convenience for when I go to the range etc.

I also practice shooting as a hobby and have a few highly trained military buddies (green beret and marine recon) and have shared quite a bit with me. So yes, I do pay attention to it and I think everyone should. I also properly store my firearms. I cannot stand the “gun bro” culture. It’s harmful to society and what the 2A intentions. I think if you’re going to be a gun owner you in general should treat it as a responsibility. Practice your craft so you’re proficient. But treat it as a tool because that’s exactly what it is. Lock it away (except at night) and pray to God you never have to use it."

I thought that was a reasonable position.
Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. - Mark Twain

rb

« Reply #246 on: June 02, 2020, 04:44:41 PM »
I don't know if it's reasonable, but I'd say it at least rational. It's definitely not crazy, which a lot of views around the topic are. That's why I decided to respond.

Castanza

« Reply #247 on: June 02, 2020, 05:39:28 PM »
I don't know if it's reasonable, but I'd say it at least rational. It's definitely not crazy, which a lot of views around the topic are. That's why I decided to respond.

You're approaching the situation from the standpoint that the robber breaking into your home is somehow a completely calm and rational human being. Chances are they're some pissed off, jacked up, completely irrational individual. I like to think I wouldn't shoot until I felt the threat was great enough. Perhaps shoot, not to kill. But when your in the moment and have a family in the house I think your responsibilities are pretty clear. In my opinion, you wave your rights when you bust into someones house in the middle of the night looking to steal or potentially cause harm. Family is priceless. People get hurt and killed every year dealing with irrational people. A highly motivated irrational person is about the worst combination there is. I don't fault anyone for not sharing my opinion though. I just think that opinion should be up to the individual and what they decide is best for themselves.

Core: BRK | MSFT | GOOG | RTX | MSGS | TPL | WFC | USB | PNC | BAC | VZ | VNO | PCYO | PLNT | ESPO | HACK

cwericb

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #248 on: June 02, 2020, 05:42:07 PM »
Actually rb I thought both your and Castanza's responses, although different, were well thought out. I find the whole idea of gun control very difficult. I think it is ludacris to have military grade weapons available to the average citizen, and using an amendment from 1791 in 2020 to justify it is ridiculous. But at the same time I would like to think that reasonable and reliable people should have some access to own a weapon.
Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. - Mark Twain

LC

« Reply #249 on: June 02, 2020, 06:38:19 PM »
counterpoint to rb:

The point of shooting an intruder is not to protect your $100 or $10,000.

It’s because he has a gun and may (and is threatening to) kill you.
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
akam| brk.b | goog | irm | lyv | net | nlsn | pm | ssd | t | tfsl | v | wfc | xom