Author Topic: Trump just destroyed Republican party  (Read 15519 times)

LC

Re: Trump just destroyed Republican party
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2018, 01:30:38 PM »
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/416427-federal-judge-finds-georgia-county-violated-civil-rights-act-by-rejecting

Federal judge finds Georgia county violated Civil Rights Act by rejecting ballots

U.S. District Judge Leigh Martin May wrote in a 17-page order that the county was found to be acting in violation of the Civil Rights Act with its rejection of absentee ballots solely on the basis of an omitted or incorrect birth year.

"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ads | brk.b | irm | mmm | mo | nlsn | pm | pypl | v | wm

Cardboard

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2018, 01:46:41 PM »
Even judges decisions in this society are no longer worth anything. They should be impartial. Unfortunately, they are anything but. That happens when they are appointed officials with partisan biases.

Cardboard

meiroy

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2018, 04:05:19 PM »

"Just crunched: the percentage of white men as a share of House Democrats is set to decline from 41% to 38% as a result of the 2018 election.

Meanwhile, the percentage of white men as a share of House Republicans is on track to rise from 86% to *90%.*"

This is what it is about.

It's not about economics, or foreign policy or ""conservatism"" or whatever, these are all just excuses and why they will just change arguments when confronted with facts.  All these attempts at rational discussion are futile.
As usual meiroy, you bring up a good point and the "altitude adjustment" is certainly part of "it" but I disagree on your ZeroHedge-type of pessimism concerning the potential for common grounds. ;)  The futility argument mentioned on a discussion board is paradoxical, isn't it?

Anyways, you may like:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2018/04/race-rising-anxiety-white-america/

Like the guy who says in the article: "it’s hard for an individual—or a country—to evolve past discomfort if the source of the anxiety is only discussed in hushed tones", I would say that open discussions are not futile. Some issues can be swept under the rug but others, like the changing complexion issue, should be faced head-on (talking over a beer may help).

In the "We are going to make America Great Again", it's the "we" part that I find most interesting but perhaps also most controversial.
So, who are we?
I like Schwab711's answer provided on a concurrent trend: "Finally, I'd also argue that when in doubt, assume that people are people."
Like We, the people. :)

Thank you for your civil and eloquent reply, I have much to learn from you in that sense, especially how you are able to smile while punching me with that Zerohedge comment :) The numbers speak for themselves and they are not borderline. If it's not clear enough, you could add the percentage of white men out of the entire population and as a percentage of voters.  It's pretty remarkable, isn't it? 90% is not 65%, I'd go balls to the wall on GS leaps today if I had 90% conviction.

And just for fun, I'm quoting MarkS comment here:

Quote from: MarkS
Let me ask the question a different way.  For identity politics to work, you have to have a group to direct the hatred towards. The dems have a coalition of blacks, hispanics , women and the LBGTQ community.   Conspicuously absent are white men by design.  Why are you surprised when white men leave and go somewhere besides the Democrat Party?

« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 04:08:57 PM by meiroy »