Author Topic: US Election Rules and Possible Outcomes On Election Day  (Read 89984 times)

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
Re: US Election Rules and Possible Outcomes On Election Day
« Reply #340 on: November 28, 2020, 03:25:34 PM »
I will say, its bizarre how a lot of the liberals here like to masquerade around as "republicans"

I am not registered as a Democrat or Republican.  I vote for the candidate.

I understand your point regarding the Senate.  But don't forget the Senate Majority leader would not bring the last Democrat-nominated Supreme Court nominee to a vote.  He is so partisan that it kept him from doing what he ever-so-recently heralded as his Constitutional duty to bring the President's nominees to a vote. 

I would not oppose a Senate majority led by Mitt Romney.  He is a man of integrity.

LC

« Reply #341 on: November 28, 2020, 04:22:41 PM »
They’ve all got integrity until they get in power, then they get shitty. Some are just worse than others. The republicans lost a true conservative in McCain and are now stuck between Mitch and Trump. Hopefully Romney can pull more sway within the party if we get any pullback from Trump and his antics. You can see already on this site, there is a divide growing between the “right”. The conservatives are toning down their rhetoric now that Trump is leaving, while the zealots continue digging their hole even deeper. Hopefully the conservatives will out, but until that happens I’ll cast my lot in with Biden.
"Lethargy bordering on sloth remains the cornerstone of our investment style."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
akam| brk.b | goog | irm | lyv | net | nlsn | pm | ssd | t | tfsl | v | wfc | xom

Gregmal

« Reply #342 on: November 28, 2020, 04:47:31 PM »
Biden is a perfectly fine choice. So was Romney. I mean lets get real, for folks like us, Hillary would have been ok. But we're not the ones who need it. With respect to those that do, I tend to see the ones on the right, are generally capable and hard working but lack skill/intellect...and the ones on the left are just lazy, materialistic and like whining. You're not going to find a one size fits all solution because you're dealing with two totally different animals.

cwericb

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #343 on: November 28, 2020, 05:03:14 PM »
This would seem to be a good time for the more centralist members of both parties to step up to the plate and step into the spotlight - or is that political suicide at this time?
Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. - Mark Twain

Gregmal

« Reply #344 on: November 28, 2020, 05:22:06 PM »
Like Howard Schultz? The establishment and MSM outfits made quick work of Schultz. The message has been sent loud and clear and reasonable, non corrupted people with the means to pursue it simply dont find all that comes with it appealing. Its a horrible risk/reward. Say what you want about Trump...look at the before and after. He had plenty of businesses, branding deals, and never a real legal problem. Always viewed as a bit of a pig, but nevertheless fit in quite well with the NY elite and those types. After 4 years in office he's got a million politically charged "investigations", impaired brands, RE thats a little tough to move right now, and even boring businesses like his Trump Collection business attire and shit banned from every department store. He's universally labelled a racist, homophobe, sexist, etc. He's a sexist, but the other stuff is a stretch. Point being none of these issue existed prior to getting into politics. And if you think it's Trump specific just look at the shit that they pulled during ONE WEEK that Howard said he was thinking of running. Better people dont want any part of this mess.

cwericb

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #345 on: November 28, 2020, 05:39:07 PM »
Unfortunately I agree that most of what you said is true about the political scene.  It seems today people only go into politics for what they think they can get out of it for themselves. The few who go into politics with good intentions are soon corrupted. But there are a few very strong and ethical individuals like McCain who manage to stay honest.
Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reason. - Mark Twain

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #346 on: November 29, 2020, 06:44:37 AM »
I was watching past episodes of the David Letterman Show last night on Netflix.

One episode had Obama as Letterman's guest.  Obama's point on how algorithms are polarizing the country, or at least how they keep people inside a bubble, is so true:

‘Somebody took a liberal, a conservative and quote-unquote a moderate and sent them on a Google search. Egypt — type it in. For the conservative, it came up “Muslim Brotherhood,” and for the liberal it came up “Tahrir Square” [the site of mass public protests in Cairo] and for the moderate it came up “Vacation Spots on the Nile.” ... [W]hatever your biases were, that’s what — where you were being sent.’

— Barack Obama
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 06:47:28 AM by ERICOPOLY »

Viking

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #347 on: November 29, 2020, 09:04:12 AM »
If people are not happy with the character or caliber of people running for office i think there is a simple starting point: look in the mirror. My view is if something is not going right in your life looking in the mirror is the best place to start.

It is well documented that Trump lies far more than any other President in modern US history. Not even close. This is a historically flawed President from a character perspective. And he is now the new role model of what is possible in US politics. And kids all over the US have been taught by Trump for the past 4 years about character, morals, integrity, compassion, respect, trust in US political system...

But the issue with US politics is not Trump. The character and accountability bar continues to get lowered by the people (you pick the reason why). The Democrats one day will have their version of Trump (its not Biden) and Republicans will only need to look in the mirror to see who is to blame. Sometimes in life you get what you deserve.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 09:08:13 AM by Viking »

ERICOPOLY

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #348 on: November 29, 2020, 11:18:09 AM »
Is it America that he is trying to make great again, or is it Trump that he is trying to make great again?  I don't see how undermining public trust in the judicial system supports the former. 

We all saw the decisions from the Pennsylvania courts stating that no evidence was brought to court:

"We're trying to put the evidence in, and the judges won't allow us to do it," Trump said.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-sunday-morning-futures-judges-election-lawsuits
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 11:21:21 AM by ERICOPOLY »

Gregmal

« Reply #349 on: November 29, 2020, 12:02:50 PM »
If people are not happy with the character or caliber of people running for office i think there is a simple starting point: look in the mirror. My view is if something is not going right in your life looking in the mirror is the best place to start.

It is well documented that Trump lies far more than any other President in modern US history. Not even close. This is a historically flawed President from a character perspective. And he is now the new role model of what is possible in US politics. And kids all over the US have been taught by Trump for the past 4 years about character, morals, integrity, compassion, respect, trust in US political system...

But the issue with US politics is not Trump. The character and accountability bar continues to get lowered by the people (you pick the reason why). The Democrats one day will have their version of Trump (its not Biden) and Republicans will only need to look in the mirror to see who is to blame. Sometimes in life you get what you deserve.

I'm glad to see you agree that Trump was simply a manifestation of people getting what was coming to them. Its not gone though...I still see plenty of that same arrogance and stupidity. I was driving around the other day and saw what might possible be one of the dumbest yard signs Ive ever seen. It said something like "We believe"..and then everything it stated underneath was hilariously misguided or the result of gullibility and stupidity. Just a few?

We believe:

Science is real?  LOL really? Arent you the same folks who think a man can wake up tomorrow and be a woman? Biology is science fellas.

Women's right are human rights... Uhm, ok? What does this have to do with anything. You guys claimed all Trumps SC picks would set women back ages yet if anything they've progressed the cause. Notably...a young mother of 7 making history with her appointment.

Black lives matter....LOL ok than start shining light on the real issue if you are truly concerned about black lives. More black people die unnecessarily at the hands of other black people...IN CHICAGO ALONE IN ONE MONTH! than die at the hands of police in an entire year....Its as asinine as saying you're fighting to stomp out cancer and then only focusing on people who worked in the coal mines in the 1970s rather than current and former smokers...total stupidity.

No one is illegal...LOL no border or immigration enforcement?

But yea, way to announce you are an uninformed asshat!