Author Topic: Whats The Problem?  (Read 1247 times)

Gregmal

Whats The Problem?
« on: January 17, 2020, 01:39:16 PM »
https://nypost.com/2020/01/17/mta-employee-took-70k-in-kickbacks-for-insider-bid-info-prosecutors-say/

Yes, I get the kickbacks. But is this not the epitome of pompous windbag government workers and politicians? The guy leaked bids and as a result one of the companies CAME IN LOWER than what would have otherwise been the best bid! Is it fair? Probably not. But did anyone get screwed? LOL no. In fact, the tax payer got a deal. And yet these losers then throw around words like "corruption" and "highly valued government contracts"...Hey, maybe the reason these contracts are thought of as "highly valued" is because they've long been known as gravy trains for the winning bidder. But hey, make a PR stunt out of the fact everyone got a better deal.... best part is "violating the publics trust"... yea ok. I guess one needs to pay through the nose for that trust, eh?

Hielko

Re: Whats The Problem?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 02:05:25 PM »
Why is this not in the politics section?

Gregmal

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 02:20:28 PM »
Seriously?

It doesnt mention Democrat or Republican and addresses a subject matter relevant to any quasi civilized region in NA and Europe. Bidding for government/taxpayer funded jobs...

The question posed is a non political one...how is the taxpayer harmed by an action that resulted in a lower bid? Improper handling of contracts and bids is not only a bipartisan problem, but something that occurs frequently with non profits, HOAs, schools, and many other groups.

Jesus Christ. Theres still the option not to read or engage and just go away... I  swear its so amusing sometimes to see the reactions from some folks here at even the hint of something that could possibly be misconstrued as "politics". Like a nun accidentally walking into a brothel..."OMG...No...AHHH...the horrors"... good god. How do you people live? Driving through the city on a Saturday..."Oh NO! Honey turn the car around, cover the kids eyes! I just saw someone wearing....dun dun dun... A CAMPAIGN SHIRT! ...flipping through the channels on a Tuesday evening... AHHHH honey... WTF! you just briefly glanced over CNN! NO! Driving to work Monday morning... see a bumper sticker.... slam on the breaks and stop in the middle of road and take 5 minutes to chain puff some Albuterol...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 02:31:19 PM by Gregmal »

writser

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 02:38:13 PM »
Why is this not in the politics section.
I'm sorry if I have offended you. Please contact this forum's safe space coordinator to work thing out.

@thewritser

cherzeca

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 02:45:18 PM »
my experience on this site is that this thread will soon be in the politics category.  this is a snowflake site, much as I love it, so we soon await the administrator's certain transfer.

what I dont understand is the resistance to appreciating that the political/cultural/sociological background to investment is as important as what the fed does, what the recent GDP data is etc.

anyone who has invested over multiple presidencies has to appreciate that the political backdrop is hugely important to investment prospects. 

it is clear that snowflake sensitivities are at risk so politics section here we come....but your political weakness is someone's investment strength

fareastwarriors

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 02:50:53 PM »
my experience on this site is that this thread will soon be in the politics category.  this is a snowflake site, much as I love it, so we soon await the administrator's certain transfer.

what I dont understand is the resistance to appreciating that the political/cultural/sociological background to investment is as important as what the fed does, what the recent GDP data is etc.

anyone who has invested over multiple presidencies has to appreciate that the political backdrop is hugely important to investment prospects. 

it is clear that snowflake sensitivities are at risk so politics section here we come....but your political weakness is someone's investment strength

Why do you have to use snowflake? There is not a better word out there?
Am I being a snowflake by asking that?

2nd question, is there a non-snowflake site out there?

cherzeca

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2020, 02:53:27 PM »

snowflakes melt under a small amount of heat.

Gregmal

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2020, 02:53:37 PM »

Ive realized that and come to embrace the sensitive nature of so many...for that reason. Without them, it would be harder to make a buck. I just find it really amusing.

I'd think it be an awesome exercise in trolling the flakes to ask them to analyze a company like Lockheed Martin or General Dynamics....oh man...they'd be crying 10 minutes in. Before they even get to pondering questions around such integral issues, like.....why those companies consistently have the inside track for "highly valued" contracts... derp

Gregmal

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2020, 02:56:00 PM »

Today's version create the heat and then bring it to your front porch and accuse you of making them melt...

Anyhow, this thread will probably continue digressing, but I still think the original premise is of worthwhile discussion..why is a lower bid a bad thing and who takes responsibility for running a bidding process that doesnt capture the most value....but I suppose thats a conversation for the big boys..

fareastwarriors

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2020, 02:57:18 PM »

Is there a better place for public investment discussion?